A small tube of waterproof grease

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft. And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chris Antisize stuff will do job but if rust is already there is nothing you can do

Grumpy

Sil-Glyde? would that work?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

blue silicone grease. i have a small 2oz film canister that i got to lubricate pool o-rings, but it also comes in large tubes for lubing boat trailer hubs.

Reply to
chaniarts

Not sure if this would work: Pool & Spa Lube (Chemical Resistant Fluoropolymers)

Use on O-rings, gaskets, valves and threaded parts (fiberglass pool filter cowling). "And more".

3.5 oz. in a tooth paste sized tube.

This product feels like silicone to me. But a gel consistency.

Reply to
Oren

Thanks. They are essentially all rusty by the time I get there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might. I'll have to look for it, at the auto parts. Good idea, thanks.

I did check an auto parts store, but the "assembly grease" didn't look water proof.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. Maybe find a trailer place, and see what they use for wheel berrings that go under water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about a sporting goods shop? Buy a small tube of Hoppes Gun Grease.

Or order it online. I've been using it for many years and it performs easily within your needs.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Thanks. I looked at the web page. That oughta be water proof.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Use the HVAC blue thread sealant that you hopefully already have.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Not trying to seal, prefer to waterproof.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Silicone spark plug boot release at any autoparts store. While there, get some brass caps and do yourself and your clients a favor by offering an inspection and free cap replacement.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I can't imagine Nevr Seez not working. I inject in gate padlocks - lasts several years.

Another choice: Plumbers heat proof grease -

DanG

They have either steel, or plastic caps. The plastic ones rot on, also. I'm not sure brass would help. An interesting idea. One similar cooler I worked on, had brass valve and brass caps. So, I guess they are made.

Boot release is a good idea. I bet that would work fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pipe thread dope, found at the small town hardware store. Supposed to seal threads, and prevent rust. Just what I was seeking. Three bucks, for two ounce tube. I'll try it, and see how it goes.

If it doens't work, I've got some other excellent ideas from this list. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A little more money, but you get 50% more and it's great grease. Been using it on the bikes for years...okay, decades.

RicodJour

Buy a tube (I've seen very small ones and larger ones the size of a fat short toothpaste tube) of Silicone Dielectric Grease. You can usually find it in any decent auto parts store. Or buy the small little capsules of disk brake pad backing lube, which is also now being sold in little packets as light bulb socket protectorate. The best deal is the large tube, it's usually around $6.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'll try that, if the pipe dope doesn't do the job. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon