Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

A BB gun or an air-rifle. Wouldn't kill the cat, but a few stings might convince it that it is not welcome.

You could also get a motion activated water-sprayer that would douse the cat if it got on your property.

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Cats, generally, don't like and avoid the smell of citrus. If you can find an air freshener, cleaning compound, etc. that emits such an odor, it might act as a deterrent.

Or you could move.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have this trouble, too. A neighbor Lady feeds the stray cats that live in the woods and, for whatever reason, they have chosen to come and go to her house through my yard.

I was constantly finding their poop and places they dig up in my vegetable patch to try and bury their poop, so I sprinkled moth balls around the vegetable patch and that seems to help reduce their intrusions.

Lewis

*****
Reply to
limeylew

I built a trap out of wire, lumber, cutting board, string and a mouse trap. I found directions at the library but you can probably find them on the internet. I found out, after I built it, I could of rented traps from Animal Control.

After I caught them I called Animal Control and they took them.

If you know who owns the cats you might tell them first.

Reply to
Master Betty

Lion crap is supposed* to work really well - talk to the local zoo if you have one (and if they have a Lion!).

  • seriously.
Reply to
Jules

Here's one that works basically the same. Instead of the floor on a fulcrum, I used a mouse trap to pull the string. It worked just as planned.

Master Betty

We resolved our issues with cats but were knew who they belonged to. We dropped a copy of the city By Laws in their mail box regarding free roaming cats and dogs. Then we started taking the animals to humane services. First bail out cost the owners 75.00, second time 150.00 before they decided to keep their pets indoors. As for stray cats? trap them and bring them to humane services.

Reply to
jim

Well, I'm in the city, so the BB gun would get me into a pile of trouble.

I do like the water idea though, might teach a good lesson for the little bugger.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Well, I do like the smell of citrus; might be a win-win on this one.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Why don't you just move?

Reply to
Larry W

Called your local animal control folks?

Reply to
LouB

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That was

3 months ago.
Reply to
Master Betty

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll come out just to shut you up. Seriously.

No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

Reply to
Joe

Hi, No motion sensing sprinkler? If you kill the cat, you get into trouble.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Don't waste your time. I had a dog that barked all night when his owner was at work. They won't do a thing unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR property.

It all depends on your relationship with your neighbors. If you like them, talk to them. They MAY keep the cats at home. Step two, trap the cat, take it over and give it to them, and tell them next time you will take it to animal control. Step three, if no compliance, take it to animal control. Step four, take it to a local creek and give it a five minute soak.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Meh...

I called them about a dog that roams around. Mean looking dog but actually not so bad. Problem with AC is they won't get out in time to see the problem. I like to take care of the problem myself.

Reply to
Master Betty

You are either an optimist, or live in an area where they will actually come out. In 95% of the country, they will not even come out unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR property.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Mmmmmmm! Love those moth ball flavored veggies.

Reply to
Bob F

Since no where else has cats.

Reply to