Getting cash out of American Home Shield ? Experiences sought

Hi folks-
Some of you have read my ongoing experiences with my central AC unit, and a few have given me great advice.
Now I'm asking a general question, not AC-related, so I'm starting a new thread.
Question: how do I go about getting AHS to cut me a check for whatever amount their hack repairman says the repair cost of my dead AC is? He'll just want to swap the compressor, almost certainly. Various estimates suggest that would cost AHS $500 - $1000.
Fine. What I'd like is to invoke section F, paragraph 12 of the home warranty, which is AHS's option to give me the repair cost and let me go my own way in doing a full system replacement.
The problem is that it's THEIR option to do so, not mine. I'm looking for experiences (success stories, things to avoid), in getting them to do it.
Of course I'd like them to pay for a full replacement, but that's probably not happening, and I'd be happy to cut my losses, get a check for the repair estimate, and go to my own contractor and get a quality pro install.
I can always just ask, but I hear they often say no. I'd like to play this as smartly as possible.
Experiences with home warranty companies appreciated!!
Thanks!
Marc

Just ask. Tell them that compressor replacement is not an option. Period.
Then, if you get slack, tell them to refund your policy, complete and in full, as you are canceling it and going with another company.
It works wonders.

I wont mention the other companys name, but I had a FAX request come in yesterday...I go look at the unit, and its not that old...it is an ICP, (comapny that makes CArrier) and its got a leaking evap coil....I called, explained that I could not match a coil to it without possible compromise to the compressor, and I could put in a new condensing unit for $XXXX....they agreed to the complete matching system. I am not even on their list for repairs under their warranty, but have done many in the past for them.

Simple...you go armed with these words.
Compressor replacement alone is NOT acceptable.

I have a question.....with AHS, and 2-10 and the like...the homeowner makes ONE call, and the contractor normally takes it from there...why are you fighting for what the contractor should be? Maybe its me, maybe its the area, I dont know, but after the homeowner has called, and I call the warranty company for approval, the homeowner needs to sit back, and relax while WE stay up till midnight trying to get someone to answer...lol

snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com says...
( Some of Marc's text snipped)

Sigh. Section J. Cancellation: Maryland residents only: This contract may be cancelled by the holder up to the 30th day after the effective date of the contract... after this, the contract is non-cancellable by the holder... And I'm about 40 days into the contract. D'Oh.

AHS has drawn a tough line in the sand on sticking with their own hack contractors recently. I've heard other stories similar to mine. My prefered contractor, when asked if they would intercede with AHS, said sorry, no dice, they were sick of waiting for checks to arrive and for being told to do band aid work.

I will try this, but I expect one of two negative outcomes will happen:
1. They'll say, sorry, the contract specifies only defective parts will be replaced, the hack contractor says they can fix it by putting a new compressor into a 30 year old system... that's what we are going to pay for. or 2. If by some chance they agree to replace the whole system -- (LOL)-- it would be done by their own contractors who we know to be bottom of barrel. Based on my last experience with one of their guys, shudder! Maybe the next folks, coming Monday, will be better. So maybe I'm jumping the gun.

So far, the one contractor they sent out didn't do diddley squat except drain freon, probably resulting in the compressor's death. He had no interest in helping out and when I asked him to get on the phone to AHS, he said "My manager says they'd never pay for it." That's why I'm assuming contractor #2 going to be a similar hack. But I could be pleasantly surprised. Maybe contractor #2 will show up on time, be professional, and inspire confidence. But I'm not holding my breath.
CBHVac- thanks for your continued help and support. It is very comforting to me to have folks like you who can give me useful feedback. I'm learning a lot here! Know that your efforts are appreciated.
Expect an update on Monday!!
Marc
replying to MAG, 1MANSHO wrote: 1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for safety concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost of the cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash out NOW or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.
replying to MAG, Audreynandy wrote: Yep. They said to us the same thing you said in your first guess. Ours was the 24 year old evaporator coil.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:24:37 -0700, "CBHvac"

My experience with my POS AHS warranty (which I did not purchase, would never have purchased, and will never purchase: it came with the house) is that there's an automatic $95 contractor house call fee, and $95 to me is not chump change when I'm dealing with a situation that's going to cost me a lot of money anyway, given how little AHS actually pays out. It's a real deterrent to calling AHS, and in my most recent situation, that $95 went toward a $200 shower grout repair that solved my water leak problem (worst case scenario was $4k to rip out bathroom floor tile dating from the 1940s and redo the floor drain system).
snipped-for-privacy@suds.com says...

WOW
$95 copay? Ouch!!
Mine is $50 for the service call. $95 is ridiculous!!
Marc

You're right. It's their option. They will likely pay you that money only to keep from spending more money fixing it. It's to protect them, not you. You can ask, and maybe they'll cooperate, but if they can fix something cheaper than paying you, guess which one they'll pick?
says...

True. Really, I'd be happy enough if they paid me whatever it would cost them to fix it. I'm not asking for them to pay more than that. So, instead of for example them paying $600 to the contractor, they pay me that $600 and I add that to $2000 of my own and get a brand new reliable, warranted system.
Sounds reasonable to me, as win-win solution, but I understand that often they won't do this. But sometimes they will.
Any thoughts on language to use to convince them?
Marc

Tell them if it quits again they will have to fix it, but if they hand you $600 now so you can put it a new one they are done with that old POS and will no longer have to warranty it. Make sure they understand that as soon as they pay you, their future warranty obligation on that unit is void so it may very well save them money in the long run.
@this says...

Thanks. I did this a few days ago and it worked, in that they're paying me $554 to "cash me out." It's distressing that they're giving me so little, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to let go. Tomorrow, qualified folks are going to show up and install a brand new 12 SEER unit, and will back it for 5 years parts/labor. Cool air and peace of mind a-comin'!!
Marc