GE Profile Dishwasher Problem(s)

A few weeks ago during a wash, the dishwasher got stuck in a cycle where it kept opening and closing the water input soleniod and clicking to release the detergent cover. It did this over and over until I powered it down at the electrical panel circuit breaker. It then worked fine. Then last week when we were out and left it washing, it appeared to turn on the heater element and it (possibly) boiled the water in the tub. The heater element was on for many hours. Now when I run the dishwasher the cycle is fine, but water doesn't pump out. I am assuming the control unit is failing and maybe the pump (which sounds like it runs) has been effected by the heat. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and what parts I should replace ?
Thanks
Ceri

appliance running and leave the house or go to bed. One easy way to get flooded or have the house burn down. My gas dryer stopped running but the gas valve failed to shut. Checked it out when I saw smoke coming up through the heating registers--the machine was so hot you couldn't keep your hand on it. Maybe minutes from a major incident. MLD