Garage Floor Epoxy Paint

I was at Lowe's the other night and saw they had painting kits for garage floors. Has anyone used on of these kits. My garage is three years old and the floor was sealed using a regular floor sealer for garages. Will this interfere with the paint bonding? Also how slick will this make the floor. The garage has a slight ramp from the street level and a 1 inch lip at the door. I don't want to have problems getting in in the winter because my floor is to slick.

Reply to
Gordon Parks

Paint will make it slicker, there additives for non skid, But a car should have no problem, you may though,slipping. Non skid treatments can be mixed in or sprinkled on, This makes paint wear faster. The real concern is proper cleaning of embeded grease, its a multi step job to do it right or the product will fail. There is HC concrete stain that doesnt peal. I suggest you go to a real Paint store, dont work with unqualified people in box stores. Sherwin Williams has HC Stain. For floors its all in the prep job, dont skimp.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I used some of the paint from Lowes and it worked out great. That was about six years ago as I remember and the floor still looks great and is easy to clean.

Two problems. They no longer sell the same stuff. You need to read and follow the instructions on cleaning and preparing the floor exactly. Be sure to get a two part type that you must mix together. I have not heard much good about any of the one part types, no matter what they say on the can.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The two part epoxy works great, if you follow directions. The cleaner the floor, the better, but you don't have to go crazy if a spot won't completely come out. The result is a little slippery when wet, yet not a big problem. Package consistency would have you put it on in an extremely thing layer. I find it hard to apply that thin. Also, if the weather is hot it cures real fast so you need to be prepared to work fast.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

You will need to get most all of the sealer or curing membrane off. you need a good bond make sure the that it will wet in (soak) so you get a good bond. If you etch the floor with a mild muratic acid solution then clean with a soap water then rinse with clean water and let dry for 24 hours or more make sure the humidity is low and the concrete is dry the coating will last a long time. I used to apply this stuff for a living. epoxy is forgiving but you need to have a clean dry surface and BE SURE IT WILL SOAK INTO THE Slab. "Gordon Parks" wrote in message news:kfSqb.99315$mZ5.644127@attbi_s54... I was at Lowe's the other night and saw they had painting kits for garage floors. Has anyone used on of these kits. My garage is three years old and the floor was sealed using a regular floor sealer for garages. Will this interfere with the paint bonding? Also how slick will this make the floor. The garage has a slight ramp from the street level and a 1 inch lip at the door. I don't want to have problems getting in in the winter because my floor is to slick.

Reply to
DOUGLAS SHIPPS