Garage Door will not close

Craftsman 1/2
Last week I had my trailer half way in my garage and out. Son closed the door and it hit my trailer and bent the top door. I had to get get another door and put it on. Got it on fine all lined up.
I then close the door door gets to the bottom and does no stay down it goes right back up every time. It will not stay down...
David Tennessee
On 04/28/12 06:59 pm, Jack Valance wrote:

Did you re-"train" the opener with the new door?
Perce
Jack Valance wrote:

I assume an electric garage door opener is involved somehow.
Read the manual for the opener (or find it on-line). In it will be instructions for adjusting the door travel.
Thanks
a.. 3 Adjust the travel dial using your flathead screwdriver. The back of the garage door control unit should have two dials that are inset in to the units case. The dial on the right hand side will reduce or lengthen the amount of travel the door has, based on which way you turn it. If the door isn't closing all the way, adjust to the left. Adjust a one-half turn and open and close the door. Adjust either way as necessary.
a.. 4 Adjust the torsion dial with the screwdriver. The torsion dial is on the left hand side on the back of the control panel and regulates how much pressure the door has when opening and closing. If you can't get the door to go up when it's down, you may have to raise the torsion by turning the dial to the right. If the door closes and then starts back up, you might have too much torsion.
Read more: How to Adjust a Craftsman Garage Door | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5523392_adjust-craftsman-garage-door.html#ixzz1tR0rucY1

OK - did you fix the problem?????
OK - did you fix the problem?????
The problem is fixed just a turn of the screw

The door is probably hittint the ground too hard and the auto- reversing feature is kickig in thinking that something is blocking the door. Find the adjustment info in the owners installation manual and adjust accordingly.

If you replaced the entire door, you may not have mounted the opener attachment arm in the exact same spot as the old door and thus, you may have to readjust the limit switch.
Also ensure the door is balanced. An unbalanced door could do the same, especially one which falls heavy.