Fuzzy Math

You were given the opportunity to leave a complaint, why didn't you? Just being a jerk is my guess.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And yet you are stillb eating your gums trying to explain your rude and uncalled for actions..to say nothing of doing nothing about resolving the problem.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Easy approach to doing percentages in yer head. Stuff like tips, discounts, etc:

50% off is easy. Divide by two, or one half. 10% is easy. Divide by 10.

60% is merely one half plus one tenth, in this case, 75 + 15.

65% is halving the 10% and adding it to the pile.

18%? Divide by 10, halve the 10%, Halve the 5%, and add 'em all up. That's only 17.5%, but close enough to 18% fer a tip.

Think in terms of cutting everything in half, then adding it back up. Even a senile old geezer like myself still has enough brain cells left to pull that trick off. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Shift the decimal point.

Reply to
krw

Which direction?

I know, I know, but wanted to keep it braindead simple. I think jes about anyone can divide by 10.

I did two things that sharpened in-my-head math skills, despite my taking algebra and trig all thru mid/hi school. I kept score at bowling and learned to count change back to cash customers. Man, those bowlers want their updated score before the pins even stop falling. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Divide by? To the left, obviously; make the number smaller.

Well, that's how I divide by 10. It's a *lot* easier.

I used to be able to estimate a complicated engineering problem to at least one or two significant digits. Then ('73) I bought a scientific calculator. The skill was gone within a couple of years. Now I get fouled up on the order of magnitude (though I can tell when I get it totally wrong). Children using calculators in school is nuts.

Reply to
krw

I would have simply pointed out the logic that if there is a discount, how could his discounted price be greater than the undiscounted price. Even if he isn't good with numbers, he should see the logic I hope. If not, then I'd say good bye to him. And unless you have nothing better to do, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them further. I mean do you really think you will make a difference????

Reply to
Doug

If the problem remains unresolved, it's not for want of trying on my part.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. One trick I learned was to estimate the answer in advance. This keeps one from making a mistake in orders of magnitude.

One of the Manhattan scientists, Enrico Fermi, in observing the Trinity test, took a piece of paper from his pocket, tore it into small pieces and, as the shock wave reached his position, let them drop.

From the distance they were blown, he was able to estimate the magnitude of the explosion to within 50%.

Reply to
HeyBub

I know exactly what you mean. I found myself forgetting exponents and sci notation. All a part of growing old.

Lately, I've been learning basic electronics theory. Boy, talk about dusting off some old math skills. I kinda welcome it. Keeps my geezer brain churning. I bought Schaum's pre-calculus outline and discovered even that was a bit much too soon for this old dustbin brain, so found this high school algebra refresher website. Math from and too almost any level and very well done. Brings it all back:

Dusted off and am relearning how to use my HP 48GX, too. Never thought I'd find myself doing math as a way to relax. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Perhaps you forgot to factor in the service call fee into your math...

The missing $110 that mysteriously appeared could be explained by that...

Reply to
Evan

I just don't go back. If they go out of business, so be it - it's deserved. Someone else will take their place and there is a chance they'll be better.

Reply to
krw

Some businesses are big enough that they jes don't care. I once got a dried out hockey puck of a burger from a nation-wide chain. I wrote a letter, sent an email, and phoned the West Coast division headquarters. I never even got an acknowledgement that I attempted to contact them.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I cracked a tooth on a Sausage McMuffin with egg. I wrote the store, and the headquarters office. And filled out the computer complaint form. I got no response, at all.

I'll admit, that I do buy McFood, but as seldom as possible. Their lack of response (all I wanted was a form letter) has cost them many thousands of dollars.

.

Some businesses are big enough that they jes don't care. I once got a dried out hockey puck of a burger from a nation-wide chain. I wrote a letter, sent an email, and phoned the West Coast division headquarters. I never even got an acknowledgement that I attempted to contact them.

nb

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm with you. It is important to let the folks know that things can be better, and how. Otherwise, they just keep doing the same old, same old.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep...you sure did try...

You cursed out the tech, you escorted him from the premises and you spoke to a receptionist but didn't tell her what the problem was.

That's what I call giving 110%.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I recall, from class, that surveys report only ten percent of customers with complaints voice those complaints.

Reply to
HeyBub

That is really the best practice.

My son is in the "Hospitality Management" business. He put himself through school by being a (very good) server and bartender.

The problem with not tipping a server who gave you poor service is that the bartender, the cooks, the bus boys, etc. also don't get a tip, even though they may have provided excellent service - service that the patron didn't experience directly. The same goes for not tipping a very polite and efficient server because the meal itself sucked. The server gets no tip for her work when the problem was in the kitchen.

In most major restaurants tips are shared across a number of staff members, many of whom you never interact with, but that had a part in your experience.

I know, I know...they are all part of a team and if one team member screws up, the whole team loses. I get that.

However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the problem.

One time the service that we experienced at the table was terrible but the food (once the server got our order right) was excellent. I left no tip with the bill but I found the manager and gave her the tip explaining the issues. I told her to split the tip anyway she wanted but that it would be my preference that the server got no part of it.

I can be lenient and still tip for poor service if I can tell that the server is new and is at least trying. (Hwy, my son was new once and I'm sure he made some mistakes.) It's the gruff, uncaring "seasoned" servers who either have a lousy attitude or no attitude at all - they just don't care - that I don't like.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

not leaving a message with someone, anyone, regarding your complaint in fact is lack of trying. You had the chance to leave a voicemail, you didn't. you had the chance to leave a message with the receptionist, you didn't.

the problem was and is you

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

while I will occasionally tip, I find the idea that my tipping is necessary for the server, busboy, bartender, cooks, etc to make a living is obnoxious. A good restaurant would pay a great salary in order to have the best people...isn't that what the republicans are always saying about free-market economies? I realize that would raise the price of my meal, but I'd feel better about that.

as an example, I occasionally eat at several buffets. I get all the food, but a "server" gets the drinks and there is the expectation of tipping. it's crazy.

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds