Fuzzy Math

Page 3 of 4

ahh...so perhaps there was more to the conversation with the tech who gave you the estimate than you told us in your OP.
Were we supposed to guess at how he arrived at the $200.36 estimate? Did you include the cost of those extra items in the funny little equation that you posted? No, you did not.
Once again I suggest that you go back to your OP, pretend that you are lucky enough to be one of us instead of you, and read what you wrote. Then tell how us we could have come to any other conclusion than the one we did: The tech made a math error and you treated him and other's at the company poorly.
That is the only conclusion we can arrive at based on what you wrote.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

My apologies. I was complaining about the total and thought that would be sufficient to illuminate my ire. I didn't realize that you - and perhaps others - wanted a detailed tabulation inasmuch as I couldn't see how that would contribute to the conversation.
Nevertheless, to ease your confusion, to recap:
* Cleaning - $270 [$135 each] * Less 40% - -$108 * Tax - $13.96 * Service Charge - $25 * Cleaning at full customer risk - No Charge * Total - $200.36
HeyBub wrote:

Would you or somebody please explain how you can get that answer with those numbers?
If you do it the way you have it you get $22,440
If you do ($75 + $75) - (0.40 x $150) it works, ditto for $75 + $75 - (.40 x $150).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Tax.
badgolferman wrote:

Your welcome.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Which is the normal way of doing it (multiplication before addition). My calculator knows that, and gets $90.
--

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
dadiOH wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. In most mathematical computations, multiplication and division have a higher precedence than addition or subtraction. A computer program, or a mathematician, would parse my statement as:
75 + 75 - 0.40 x 150 75 + 75 - 60 150 - 60 90
HeyBub wrote:

Yeah, I understand that. What I don't understand is your original one... $75 + $75 - 0.40 x ($150) = $200.36 How does that wind up at $200.36 with or without tax?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Ah, yes, I DID leave out some other stuff that influenced the total. I've since corrected that omission but I apologize for the confusion.
gpsman wrote:

Nah. Another company was eager for my business.

What? He only got the left half of the parenthesis in the wrong place. He got all the other keystrokes and their positions right. That's at least a 'B' in today's public schools, isn't it?

At least they were trying to be helpful. Sheesh! Some people! ;-)

LOL....
Probably. Unfortunately, it's an F in real life.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

I would have simply pointed out the logic that if there is a discount, how could his discounted price be greater than the undiscounted price. Even if he isn't good with numbers, he should see the logic I hope. If not, then I'd say good bye to him. And unless you have nothing better to do, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them further. I mean do you really think you will make a difference????

I just don't go back. If they go out of business, so be it - it's deserved. Someone else will take their place and there is a chance they'll be better.

Some businesses are big enough that they jes don't care. I once got a dried out hockey puck of a burger from a nation-wide chain. I wrote a letter, sent an email, and phoned the West Coast division headquarters. I never even got an acknowledgement that I attempted to contact them.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Some businesses are big enough that they jes don't care. I once got a dried out hockey puck of a burger from a nation-wide chain. I wrote a letter, sent an email, and phoned the West Coast division headquarters. I never even got an acknowledgement that I attempted to contact them.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
I'm with you. It is important to let the folks know that things can be better, and how. Otherwise, they just keep doing the same old, same old.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:11:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Someone else will figure it out. There are too many alternatives to worry about training a loser.

We're even, then. I don't care if they survive either.

On a hot July 3rd evening, ten years or so back, my wife and I were eating at a sidewalk restaurant. A new waiter served my beer and let the entire remainder of the tray tip and spill all over my wife. Since we were there to watch the fireworks later, she had to wear beer for hours. They wanted to comp us a (singular) desert in reparations. We don't eat desert, so said no and never returned. No second chances on my dime. There are too many other places that want my money more.
Steve B wrote:

I recall, from class, that surveys report only ten percent of customers with complaints voice those complaints.