Furnace and Air Conditioner Installation Cost

Page 1 of 2
I have received quotes to install a new furnace and A/C unit at our house and wanted to get a sanity check on the price.
The load calc indicates a need for a 120,000 BTU unit and a 4 ton A/C. The units would replace a 120,000 BTU that was original to the house (1982) and a 3 1/2 ton A/C that was also original to the house (1982). Since the house was built, there is an additional 300 sf or so, with a total of almost 3,300 sf of space.
There is a fair amount of work to be done in connection with any installs, including a lot of venting/piping for the furnace and the A/C, as well as lining our chimney to handle only the hot water heater. In addition, we will certainly require some damper adjustments.
We have been quoted $6,500 for an install of a Carrier 58 MVP 120 and $6,300 for an install of a Carrier 38 TDB (16 SEER).
These prices seem high, but they are actually lower than pricing we received on comparable (equivalent?) Bryant equipment.
[...]
Was load calc written, you have a copy. So one guys cheaper.
[...]
yossarian wrote:

Get additional quotes from other sources. I suggest three, normally. Check with friends neighbors, co-workers and family for suggestions for trusted installers. It is really the installer who makes the difference between good and bad.
It is really difficult to say of a particular quote is a good price or not from here as local conditions and your specific install make a big difference
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I am also looking to install a furnace, as well as new A/C unit.
[...]
You need a sanity check
I think it seems high too, but it was actually much lower than another quote I got on the same equipment -- 35% lower.
We looked into lining our chimney and it was about a third the cost to just cap it off and put in an electric water heater, as that was the only thing left using the old flue. Just fyi. :)
That makes me feel a lot better about this.
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:19:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (yossarian) wrote:

So then your point is totally mute. Try getting another 1500 bids. Then you can compare till your hearts content. Bubba
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:05:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (yossarian) wrote:

How are you going to intelligently decide on a proper bid when you cant even post in a newsgroup properly? Maybe we can understand you after another 100 or so posts Bubba
yossarian wrote:
Maybe a few less copies of your question ??
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit