front door chime not working

When I was renting, I left the landlord alone almost all the time, but otoh, I think this is his repsonssiblity. Most lls would be happy to pay for the new chime rather than to have to call a repairman to go to your home and fix is.
But you probably have to ask him first, if you want him to pay for it.
For example, he may say. I have a working chime you can have. I'll drop it off for you.
(When my wireless doorbell on the 2nd floor broke after 10 years, a friend offered me one he wasn't using, new in the bubble pack.)

Most landlords know how to do simple repairs or they have a handyman who doesn't charge him a minimum to come out and diagnose, and would charge him for actual time spent including travel, but probably only true travel time, especially if he's going from one of LL's rentals to another. IOW, he'll charge the LL 20 or 30 dollars plus the cost of the bell if he puts one in. . If he has a description of the problem in advance, he'll bring a new chime with him.

If it's a rental, why is it your problem at all? In most rental situations if something isn't working it's the landlord's headache, not yours. Could be you have a different arrangement, but just saying...

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:12:42 -0500, Tony Miklos

In Texas it's what the lease states.
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 06:16:09 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I'm the landlord :( ... here in Texas, goes by the lease.

A tenant under the law can not be required to pay for "repairs" for damages which are not their responsibility...
A doorbell is hardwired to the landlord's premises and therefore not the property of the tenant... A doorbell (and even an intercom and door release on larger apartment buildings) is required on rental units, therefore it is something that the landlord must provide in proper working order... Like a smoke detector or fire alarm system -- not the tenant's problem to deal with as they are not the owner of the building and don't deal with the fire department for permits or inspections...
So the only way a tenant would be paying for those repairs, would be if the tenant ripped the chime or door button out of the wall maliciously intending to cause damage to the landlord's property...
~~ Evan

I am the landlord :( In my own house, the transformer is in the attic near where you enter the attic.
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 21:13:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Nice <grin> !!
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:59:42 -0800 (PST), "Ken S. Tucker"

Does it work in reverse such that when the detector is no longer activated, does the radio shut off?