Folding saw horses

I am wanting get some of these fold up saw horses for my husband for Christmas. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks

Reply to
tommy/wendy

Boy, there are sure going to be lots of opinions on this one.

I own a set by Fulton I bought them because space on a truck is at a premium and these fold up small enough to always carry along. Good wood homemade wood horses are better and stronger, but are awkward to carry.

Reply to
Dan G

I have a set of the Home Depot saw horses. They are great, they fold up and they are adjustable for height and also have extenders to eetend them out to 4 feet wide. The only downside to them is the plastic is slippery so wood tends to slide around a bit but a few quick clamps will solve that. Good luck!

Reply to
Randd01

I have two types, the plastic fold up ones and some metal ones. For the expense, I'd likely go with the plastic, though they aren't as heavy duty and aren't adjustable. The plastic were something like $40 a pair, the metal were double that amount. Easy to store, easy to move around.

That said, a lot of times I'll job-build a set of wood sawhorses. With 2x6 top rails I can cut into the rail without fear while ripping plywood or whatever. I also tend to build them 5' wide. Built from basically scraps, they take 20 minutes to knock together and get disposed of after the job.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

It's more complicated to make recommendations than you would expect. Different folding sawhorses fold in different ways and have other features that make them good for one job but not so good for another.

For example I have a pair of Stanley ones that are not as compact as other brands and designs, but they serve me well because I can adjust the height quickly and easily, which is important to me. If I needed them to be more compact, I would have chosen a different design. I also count it an advantage that mine are all plastic because they get left in the rain on occasion.

So we need to know more particulars such as the kind of work he does or why they must be folded. Is the goal to save as much space as possible? Is it important to him that they adjust and adjust easily? Does he need to have them be able to support a certain weight? Where will he store them?

Peter

Reply to
peter

I have six sets of folding plastic horses by (various makers).

The Pros: Light weight. Not bothered by termites/bugs. Not affected by repeated exposure to rain. Cheap. Support most common workloads. Light weight (big + at the end of the day).

The Cons: Accidental deep saw cut through the top rail and it's trash.

Tip: Make some wood caps that drop over the tops of the plastic horses. Assemble the caps with screws, deep cuts can be repaired by replacing one or more boards on the cap. Things can be screwed directly to the wood cap. The caps can extend the support surface and create a larger contact surface. Carpet pad can be glued to the tops of the caps to prevent work from sliding.

Reply to
TinMan1332

Good ideas! Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

The plastic ones are crap crappy crap. make sure you get the metal ones their about 20$ for a pair I have 2 types one has a hinge the other pair has a cabel that connects the legs the one with the cable isnt designed very well. but its still better than a plastic sawhorse

Reply to
Mike