Saw horses

Hi does anyone know of plans for a typical saw horse? I would like to build a couple but have never actually seen any plans. Cheers Colin.

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

| Hi does anyone know of plans for a typical saw horse? | I would like to build a couple but have never actually seen any | plans. Cheers

Not plans; but pretty close:

parts are 30" long - angles are either 90 or 80 degrees.

Morris Dovey

RLM

Try...

Barry

barry

Reply to
C & E

who would have to ask for a sawhorse plan?

It's right on par with most DIY Channel productions...

No offense to the poster intended...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Colin:

Don't know if you are familiar with Roy Underhill and his TV show Woodwright's shop, but here is a link..

are two tricks to getting Roy's sawhorse 'correct.' Roy demonstrated these in the TV show that went with this drawing, but nothing critical. I built myself a pair, good solid design. Stronger than it looks on paper.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

I borrowed a book from a friend that had great instructions for a sawhorse. It was a Time Life hardcover book (part of a series) on Home Repair.

It gave step-by-step directions, and described how to use framing squares to get the precise angled mortice for the legs. Putting it together was a snap, and I've gotten very positive comments from others who has seen them.

I don't know the name of the book, but if anyone knows of a set of directions that sounds similar, I'd love to bookmark it.

And then there was the three-legged sawhorse that was discussed here as well.

I bookmarked that one:

Bruce Barnett

I've posted plans for a knock-down saw horse to ABPW.

Reply to
Upscale

I wasn't putting beginners down at all.

I was remembering my beginnings, and noting the difficult time a beginner would have following DIY's "plan".

Reply to
B A R R Y

He was putting those particular "plans" down, not you ... and rightfully so.

If you're still undecided, I'd suggest Morris' design.

Overall it incorporates some subtle concepts, based on experience, that a user would never cease to appreciate, something a "raw beginner" may not fully appreciate.

Reply to
Swingman

Once you decide on the design you want, cut the legs a few inches longer than you want the heigth of the horses to be. Then, turn the horse upside down, and measure & mark each leg for cutoff, using a straight-edge to carry the heigth marks to each leg. The legs can then be cut off with a handsaw. I've made several sawhorses and have always used this trick, in which the legs turn out perfect with no wobble. it's quick, too.

Col> Hi does anyone know of plans for a typical saw horse?

Reply to
papadoo1

If you buy a package of Simpson Strong Tie sawhorse brackets, the "plans" are right on the package. Of course, this is only useful if you want to make sawhorses simply because you need some. If your objective is to find a beginner-level project that will give you a little woodworking experience and leave you with a finished product somewhat more useful than a birdhouse, then a set of ready-made brackets would probably not be all that educational.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com :

A trick I was taught years ago was to start w. long legs, then place it on a flat surface, add scraps under each leg until it is stable and even. Then mark each leg the same distance over the surface (floor, table, etc).

/Par

Reply to
Par

Mon, Nov 13, 2006, 12:41pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: I wasn't putting beginners down at all. I was remembering my beginnings, and noting the difficult time a beginner would have following DIY's "plan".

Well I for one thought you'd made yourself clear, but apparently this is an exceptionally delicate little flower. Wonder how he copes out in the real world, if he's that sensitive. One can only trust he never gets on any of the other newsgroups, he'd probably die of shock. Personally I thought he was pretty snotty, expecially for someone supposedly wanting help. Probably another troll.

JOAT What's the difference between a cattle grid and a lawyer?

People slow down before they run over a catte grid.

Reply to
J T

Reply to
<woodman1

Those are actually pretty good, but ... since they're 3 legged, be careful of heavy items on them; they will tip a lot easier than the 4 legged types. Also more difficult to move around while under load for that "touch" adjustment.

Reply to
Pop`