Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Page 7 of 9

Next time you do. Please try to reverse the handing of the lock by twisting the exterior knob 180 degrees (leave the cylinder in). Then put it all back together. Uh, er, I mean TRY to put it back together.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Then you just got lucky because they have to be flipped fairly often. The odds are about 50/50 on any given job.
Is he the guy who says to just remove the screws, and turn the knob right side up?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

order to rotate

right-hung or

CY: Doug, she's describing a knob lock.

(which contains the

the bolt), and

CY: Doug, the customer is working on a knob lock.

part together. Now

deadbolt mechanism.

part where the

CY: Doug, if you invert the indoor and outdoor parts, you lock yourself into the house. And let anyone turn the knob and come in. You're not sounding very knowledgable.

Think about it a little while, and you might figure out where you went out to lunch when you wrote this...
--
Regards,
wrote in message

Why the hell do you do this? The lack of a ">" in front of your text and the presence of it in front of the quoted text as well as the information following "from" tells everybody who is writing what.
They can't clarify. They (Gary and Doug) are both mistaken.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You don't absolutely need to pull the lock cylinder to install the lock and have it work but the keyway may be upside down. The lock will still work and the people who are saying you don't need to flip it probably don't even know that the pins are supposed to be at the top of the keyway. If they aren't, even on an interior install where water etc isn't a factor all debris from normal operation winds up going right down the pin wells. A broken or collapsed spring will also hang it up whereas if the pins are at the top gravity is your friend.
Wrong. If you want the keyhole right side up, Kwiksets are handed. Right or left.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

not really :-) an upside down keyway traps dirt and debris that can get into the top springs, and cause problems down the road. an upside down keyway traps dirt and debris that can also causes restriction on the pins movement. not to mention the help of gravity to help allow the pins manipulating freely.
--
"Key"
========

Missing the point... re-read Heston's post.
--
Regards,

didn't miss his point at all. just added an important point.
--
"Key"
========

guess you think its ok for a keyway to be upside down ? (WRONG)
--
"Key"
========

That's wrong. The pins in the keyway should be on top. Following your instructions they may or may not end up that way. If the Keyway orientation is not right for the handing of the installation then the only way to correct it is to flip the cylinder.
You're spending far too much time on this. Are you anywhere near Seal Beach, CA?
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:16:25 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Nope. I'm in the "colder" California. We actually had ice in the standing water outside this morning. The kids went crazy over it, even as they were outside with shorts on.
Thought if you were closer I could show you how to do this.
Anyway. First time I tried to turn a kwikset keyway right-side up was quite a learning experience. Can practically do it in my sleep now but don't usually do much with Kwikset. Anyway, not a big thing to install the lock with pins down for a while, anyway. Go ahead and do it. Gotta think, though, that there is a good samaritan up your way that will guide you through the process of changing the keyway. Go back to where you bought it and ask. You might get lucky.

&
keyed
keyed
The cylinder clips in place with two spring steel clips at 180 degrees to one another. This allows it to be flipped for proper keyway orientation. It's designed for removal with a special tool but you you can also probe the clips from the rear with a sharp pick or other instrument. Note that this lock is also vulnerable to a widely available tool that removes the cylinder from the front even while locked so the security that it provides is next to nill.
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:45:51 -0800, Steve wrote:

It would be nice to have a DIAGRAM of those two apparently deeply hidden clips as locating them was too difficult for me when I tried on my own. The good news is I complained to Kwikset on their web site and they very kindly responded multiple tikmes to my email.
The first time they responded, they said many people just leave the locks upside down. When I responded back that I thought that was unprofessional, they kindly wrote back that they would send me the tool for free.
I must say that my anger at them subsided at that point as the Kwikset support person was truly trying to help me.

I've since learned this is a "grade 3" lock and that a grade 1 or 2 would be better. Since the door has glass panels, I wonder if it really matters. I guess breaking glass leaves a mess while removing the lock cylinder does not?
If a thief removes the lock cylinder with that tool, does it leave a telltale mess or is it transparent?

The tool that Kwikset will send you works from the inside of the lock after removing the spindle. You have to take the lock off the door first. A crook wouldn't use that tool... Maybe an exterior used cylinder removal tool like the A-1 Puller. That lock will work fine on that glass door (oil the piss out of it prior to installation). Besides there're going to get in anyway if they want. Glass....
I can't believe how long this subject is floating around. HD and Lowes has that tool in there rekeying kit. They would've popped the cylinder out for you for free. At least they do and would've here! Hell I would've done it for free. With my fancy Rytan removal tool. :-) Kwikset probably sent you a tool just to stop all the emails (polite way of saying "shut you up"). They probably caught wind of all these.
Roger