Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

you
switch
spring
I used to like schlage alot, hell I use "a series" on my house. Don't like the newer designs too much.
It seems youtube will be causing medecos stock to jump. bump bump bump. I'm going to try the new HS ones out by marks. winkhaus has been to hard to get latley. Though I really think the new biometric locks are going to get more and more popular as they get cheaper by the dozen. Hell weisers even making'em now. Roger.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Kwikset probably thinks that it's crazy that anyone would care which direction the keyhole would be. There isn't a "right-side-up" because it's different on doors with the hole on the right than on the left.

If you buy the after-market Kwikset re-keying kit at Home Depot, it comes with the tools, and instructions. You can put the cylinder back in either way. The procedure is different for the doorknob and the deadbolt. The deadbolt is easier, and no tools are needed. I've done rekeying of Kwikset locks many times, I just did one a few weeks ago.
See:
"http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4vxnd/kwikrekey.html " "http://www.kwikset.com/Trade/Literature/Resources/Rekeying%20Manual.pdf "
I think that you'll have the same issue with any brand of lock you buy. You'll have to disassemble it to remove the cylinder and flip it over if you want the keyhole in the opposite orientation.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:59:39 -0800, SMS wrote:

THANK YOU SMS!
That was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Without the tool, I was able to get to step 5 of your first web URL but no farther with just a screwdriver.
The only problem I see with your otherwise fantastic instructions is the size of the pictures. Size does matter when your eyes are old like mine! :)
I need to print out your instrucdtions, which are perhaps the absoloute BEST ON THE WEB bar none so far!
Thank you very much for helping us!
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4vxnd/kwikrekey.html http://www.kwikset.com/Trade/Literature/Resources/Rekeying%20Manual.pdf

[ ... ]
On all of them I've dealt with, you just separate the lockset into the three main pieces, install the plunger/latch into the edge of the door, stick the outside part (knob or deadbolt) in from the exterior side of the door, mate the interior part (knob, deadbolt, or turn lever) onto the rod from the front part, then spend a lot of time getting the screws started. Tighten everything up, and you're done.
The only difference between l-h and r-h locksets is which way the plunger/latch points, and they're generally made to fit either way. No need to pull the cylinders or anything like that. Locksets that only fit one way are usually clearly marked as "l-h only" or "r-h only".
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
Heston) wrote:

DING DING DING DING !! We have a winner, folks! Finally, someone posts the correct answer.
--
Regards,
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:33:24 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Now I'm REALLY confused.
If we don't need to pull the Kwikset lock cylinder, then why are all the OTHER posts showing pictures of a cylinder removal tool in order to rotate the configuration from a left hand to a right hand lock?
Please clarify if you can! Thanks!
Proper lock installation / orientation has the bitting on the keys up when you insert the key. This has to do with dust, dirt, and debris not getting in the pin holes as much. If you don't care, the lock will work without turning the cylinder over.
I believe you said earlier that you considered it more professional to turn the keyway over. I agree, unless the owner/user says "I don't care".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local) http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:02:28 -0600, DanG wrote:

Thank you DanG for the analysis of why it's best to have the bitting (teeth) up on the key.
I never knew why, but I never saw any professional install a lock any other way. It's sort of like installing a three-pronged USA electrical outlet upside down. The lock will still work but from a professional and esthetic and functional standpoint, it's subpar to install a left-hand lock knob on a right hand door.
Thank you for explaining why!

I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

A deadbolt lock has three main sections: the outdoor part (which contains the lock cylinder), the indoor part (which has a knob for throwing the bolt), and the deadbolt mechanism.
Remove the screws that hold the indoor part and the outdoor part together. Now slide the indoor part and the outdoor part away from the deadbolt mechanism. Put the indoor part where the outdoor part was, and the outdoor part where the indoor part was. Put the screws back in.
Done.
--
Regards,
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:35:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock knob.
Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a left-hand configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the lock cylinder?
Here's the way I do it. No pickle fork No puller
No shit
Press on the little hidden thingy and wiggle the knob thingy till you can get the shaft to drop. Take the shaft and turn it upside down and put it down inside so it is right on the end of the cylinder thingy. Make sure there is room for the pop-out thingy to come out-hold the key-knob thingy by the stem. Now hit the other end of the shaft with a small ball-pien hammer- Or invert the whole thingy, holding the shaft lightly and gently slam it on a good hard surface. POP. Now you can reverse the cylinder thingy and put it back in so the keyway will be right side up-or pins up.
All you have to do when you put it back together is nake sure the little metal springy thingies are bent back to their original shape so that they lock in good..

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a deadbolt.
--
Regards,
May I suggest that you might be mistaken?

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

right-hung or

The catch is that the pins may or may not be at the bottom as opposed to the top. If they are at the bottom the only way to correct it is to pop out the cylinder and turn it 180 degrees.
Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah, yeah, what was I thinking?!
The inside knob activates the latch whether you turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise, so you just turn the whole lockset 180 degrees.
The deadbolt requires reversing the shaft.

no it doesn't..

the keyway on the knob lock will also be 180 off. the half moon shaft only goes through the spring-latch one way. it is not reversable.

no it doesn't. in order to time a deadbolt, with the key out of the lock, the tail-piece on the deadbolt goes half way (centered) between all the way left and all the way right, no matter if it LH or RH...
--
"Key"
========
'Key wrote: \\

Right, looking at it I now see that. I wonder why they couldn't design it so the half-moon shaft could go in either way.

Yeah, my mistake.
Guess that makes TWO guys who have never worked on a Kwikset knob lock?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually I've worked on them extensively, doing re-keying at least three times in my house, and once at someone elses house. I just never ran into this situation.