Fixing a natural gas line to garage

I just bought an old farm house that has an unattached garage with a furnace in it. It did not work and the gas valve was turned off at the meter so I had a friend do a pressure test on the line from the meter at the house and it did not hold the pressure. So do I call the gas company to come fix it or will they not touch it? What is an expected cost of something like this if I DIY it? The distance is about 30 feet. How deep are most codes for NG lines? 24"? What could be used to dig a hole that deep as easy and cheap as possible?

Thanks,

Jerrit

Reply to
jerrit

Easy and cheap are antithetical in this situation... :)

I have no idea what your supplier arrangement is where you are. Here, we're off a tap off the main transmission line and the responsibility ends at the meter (although they do do a snifter test every couple of years or so, it's more to protect themselves than worrying about me... :) )

May as well call 'em and ask, first. But, I'd expect to dig and find the one end and go from there. You could always rent a small trencher.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The gas company is responsible for the meter, and everything on *their* side of it. On *your* side of the meter, *you're* responsible. Call a plumber.

Depends on the size of the line, the material used, the number of fittings needed... hard to say with any degree of precision, but you can *probably* do it for under a hundred bucks.

"Most codes" is not relevant. The only thing that matters is *your* *local* code. Call the local government agency that issues building permits. They'll either be able to answer that question, or tell you who can.

Rent a DitchWitch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
I R Baboon

Codes vary by area, but I believe 18" is a general rule. As far as cheap and easy? Cheap, a shovel, Easy, rent a trencher. I would consider calling around to see if you can find someone that installs polyethylene pipe rated for under ground gas. It will cost more, but it lasts longer than coated black pipe. Some areas may even allow copper, but it is a regional thing whether copper would be allowed. Best bet would be to contact the local inspections office to see what they say. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

i used the yellow plastic pipe. you can get the ends that are compression fit to the pipe at plumbing supply store., i put a T in my pipe just out of the meter . trenched about 2 feet down (gas dont freeze though" . you can usually buy different lengths of threaded pipe to get it into the garage. your pressure out of the meter is usually about 4 psi .lucas

Reply to
ds549