Natural gas line requirments for garage heat

I got lucky and found an overhead natural gas furnace for $50 which has a

80k input/ 64Koutput rating. I have a max of a 50 foot run from house to garage and I guess I should run 3/4" line. I think I plan to run iron pipe from inside the house to outside the wall and switch to plastic underground pipe to the garage and switch back to iron once inside. I'm open for comments and suggestions on the proper way to do it...

Thanks

Reply to
Woodchuck

Who's going to terminate the HDPE gas line to a 3/4" adapter on each end? Around here you need certification from the utility to use plastic pipe. There is a plastic coated black pipe that would do the job, you have to use some goop to protect the exposed joints from corrosion. In some localities you can use galvanized pipe and coat it with tar. Check your local regulations.

Reply to
ATP

Get a plumber involved who can get the required permits and get the work approved when it's finished.

Want to save some money, offer to do the grunt work to dig the ditch and then cover it afterwards.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you run it through a block wall it has to go through a conduit to prevent the block from filling with gas if there is a leak.

Also you can't run plastic pipe into or out of a building (you wrote "switch back to iron once inside").

There are also restrictions on electrical placements, distance from entry point or some such, I have to re-read / decipher the section on proximity again.

I'm sure others can/ will post better information.

Reply to
Mark

Lew's got a good idea. Black pipe is generally required (no sparks when fitting or disassembling), as are supporting devices every 8 feet. Pipe dope (thread sealant) the joints well, as it'll have to hold 15 lbs. of pressure for about a half an hour. Tom Lew wrote:>Get a plumber involved who can get the required permits and get the work

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

The size of the pipe you should use (3/4" or 1") depends on the capacity of the existing piping system you are attaching to, as well as the length of the run you are adding.

Consult the local building inspection office to get help on chosing the best size for your application.

mikey.

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
EmbErna

underground

I had the same situation last year. I only had to go about 15 feet underground. I talked to a plumbing store and they said the only way to do it was to use that plastic crap but the adaptors were like $60 apiece and they only had 100ft spools of the plastic. I talked to another place who was much more helpful. They said they do short runs like that all the time by just burying the black pipe and coating it with tar. That's more like it! I picked up a 5 gallon pail of tar from the Borg and a pair of rubber gloves, buried the pipe and gave it a healthy coat of tar.

Now for all you out there jumping to your keyboards to flame me, keep in mind that

1) this is my local outfit that gave me the advice - the people I would have hired if I was not a DIY kind 2) this is exactly how they do it regularly for short runs

BTW, I used 3/4 inch pipe. Be sure to install shutoffs and check throughouly for leaks!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum