Painting a barn

I have a barn which needs some paint. The old paint is about 8 yrs. old.

8 yrs ago the barn was scraped, washed, primed, and painted with oil base paint. It is flaking off. The backside of the paint chips or peeled off paint is not paint or primer but is wood. I believe that the paint has not failed therefore but that the wood (plywood sheathing) is failing. The plywood does not seem to be delaminating. I'm at a loss. The barn is more than 30 yrs old. Are there remedies other than resheathing? Is there an expected life for this sheathing? Any idea what's going on?

Thanks, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I hate to tell you, but 8 years is the life of most paints. Scrape off the loose stuff, prime those spots and repaint the barn. You, and a million other people have the same problem ! I'd recommend using oil based paint again. It protects the wood better.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

If you are sure it is wood atached to the paint then it may be the plywood. Latex exterior paints last longer on wood, oil may protect for moisture better and on horizontal surfaces but does not last like latex. No photo? You need to find the cause of the issue. Sherwin Williams will send out a rep to address your issue and even lab tests can de done. Use their product as they say and you have a warranty . You say oil primer and paint was used, There are good oil primers and paints and bad ones, you dont say what was used. Sherwin Williams makes some of the best paints and as all companeis do only guarntee their Latex products. They have one with a lifetime guarntee against peeling, but it will do you no good and have no warranty if it is the wood or original paint that is failing. Get onsite opinions and get Sherwin Williams out. If you get out a paint rep , use their products as they specify exactly then failure is their fault. I have had Sherwin Willaims pay up on several jobs, Ive had P&L totaly back out.

Reply to
m Ransley