Fix Kitchenaid Dishwasher or Replace with Bosch?

I selling a relative's home and am wondering if I should pay to have a

45 yr old Kitchenaid dishwasher that won't start fixed, or replace it with a brand new Bosch? The difference in cost is a few hundred dollars. If the repair only adds 90 days or whatever to the life of the Kitchenaid, does it make sense?
Reply to
ollie_w_holmes

45 years? Or did you mean 4 to 5 years? No, repairing an very old unit makes no sense.

According to my dealer, Bosch is a good dishwasher, but more prone to service calls than KA, Whirlpool, Maytag.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why replace it now? New owner may be planning a color change or complete remodel of kitchen. I would put a fixed dollar amount in the Realtor's listing to be given to the new owner at closing for dishwasher changeout. Bosch is probably the quietest dishwasher out there but isn't the easiest to service and doesn't have a "hard food disposer" which is wanted by most buyers. Bosch has a little cup that catches the hard stuff and relies on hot water and time to dissolve most stuff caught in it.

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

45 years old d/w??

If this is a 4 or 5 year old d/w, likely worth the repair.

Is it dead?...no sounds?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

best to do nothing and just note it is not working and offer an allowance. As has been stated new owner may want a different color.

You could install a Bosch and have someone look at the house that does not like Bosch and make it into a negative? Or they may never had heard of brand. Best to just let the buyer be aware and then you can negotiate the replacement or an allowance.

It is kind of like carpet 99% of homes you look at have tan/beige carpet because it is neutral. Everyone is afraid they will get a color someone else will not like.

Reply to
wayne

On 8 May 2005 21:37:13 -0700, ollie_w snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote (with possible editing):

FWIW - and assuming you mean 4 - 5 year old, I just had exactly the same situation. I had a top of the line Kitchen Aid Dishwasher which I had bought to replace a working 18 year old Kitchen Aid - big mistake. The problem was that it got too hot. I called the dealer from whom I bought the machine. He came out twice but could not fix it. I called Kitchen Aid who just told me to call the dealer. They were absolutely no help. In the meantime, I figured out that what was probably broken was the high temperature thermostat. However, the dealer walked off with the service literature which was in the bottom of the machine. Again, Kitchen Aid refused to help.

I finally gave up in disgust. Today's Kitchen Aid is not like the old one. I bought a new Bosch. The darn thing is so quiet, you have to look carefully to determine if it's on. I'll never buy any Kitchen Aid appliance again and nothing from the local dealer. I'll bet he could care less.

OTOH, if it really is 45 years old, too bad. It was better made than anything you can buy today, but I doubt you'll be able to get parts for it.

Good luck,

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

You can download it from the KA web site.

Most of the better brands are now. They've put a lot of effort into sound control Amazing the difference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Replace it is my suggestion. The cleaning cycles and water paths have improved over the years.

Reply to
borgunit