FIOS doesn t work without AC?

Mike that is an ordinary stepper, not a Strowger

Please see:

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That was what Google barfed up when i seacrched for Strowger, and I haven't seen the real thing since the mid '60s. :)

Michael A. Terrell

There is no "exchange" anymore, in the way there used to be these central offices with a #5 ESS or whatever. It is all moving to ATM backbone, which is essentially an internet backbone. They put RT's in the neighborhood that are hooked to a fiber, and branch out copper cable to the neighborhood. So, the switches are several hundred to a thousand or so subscriber lines, and distributed all over the landscape, instead of one building per town. If you drive around, you'll see these boxes all over the place. There are usually 3 boxes, the RT unit itself, a power entry module with an electric meter on it, and a wire cabinet.

We have Charter cable here as the only alternative to DSL (which doesn't work well in our region due to the crappy phone cables) and they have somewhere around 8 hours of batteries in each box, which serves a couple blocks. When they have an extended outage, you see them bring out a little gas generator to each pole with the Charter Pipeline box. Must be a big pain to set up all those generators.

I can't answer to FIOS, but I'm sure there have to be neighborhood concentrators, as they can't possibly run miles of fiber to EACH residence. Fiber has insane capacity, so they can concentrate traffic for hundreds of high-speed service customers onto one fiber. And, I'm sure those concentrators only have so much backup battery capacity.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Cable has battery powered boxes too.

I had some trees profesionally trimed, I could of died that day:( The tree guy brought down a 15,000 volt main distribution line and knocked out power for miles. had nice explosion One neighbor had no brains and attempted to drive over the downed line so she could park her car in her garage. Neighbors complained the outage messed up their dinner. cable billed the tree trimers insurance for 15 grand since their main hub was across the street. they had 50 trucks roll each to power one amplifier repeater. the tree guys knocked over my pole light which broke the underground power line. the whole mess took many hours to correct, there was a burn mark in the asphalt street till it was repaved. I stiffed the tree trimers for part of their bill for the damage to my home....

I was going to direct traffic and would of been standing right where that power line fell. no more bob.

Up till then I always wanted to see a high voltage short, after that I never wanted to see one again

Reply to
bob haller

No, you need power at your DSL modem/router. They will run off DC, but the voltages vary by manufacturer.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

that Retired posted says " your back-up battery will provide you with

On some ONT's there is a power jack on the side of the battery pack where you can plug power from an auto or marine battery which would give you a couple of days of phone. In my case of 11 days without power, Verizon automatically transferred all of my incoming land line calls to my cell phone.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

False. You can look up your Central Office location several places. First, DSL Reports has a "find your CO" function. And

does as well.

Your FIOS and DSL and POTS are fed from that building.

Take the case of 314-935, a WashU prefix, that's CLLI STLSMO07DSA at 6214 Delmar Note the logo at the doorway.

Now, if you have POTS it's likely fed from a switch there. If you get FIOS, (which you can't in SBC-land) it's fed from there but all the "dial tone" is from one central switch in the area; in DC's case, Reston VA. (You still get a 314-935 type number...)

Sure there is ATM between CO's.

That's a DLC. If you have POTS, you might be fed from one. But the glass from it runs to ... a CO building. The DLC's are pretty stupid; they are just muxes. The next step up is a

5ESS Remote; fed by a 5E. But the Remotes I have seen are in buildings, not pedestals.

And FIOS is fed from a CO; I have yet to see one fed from a DLC.

The gotcha is they do not have enough generators to do every HFC; and if they leave them, they often grow legs.....

Yes, they have such in your neighborhood. They are in beige boxes.

They have zero battery backup, cuz there's nothing in a FIOS splitter needing power. Each fiber to the CO splits out to feed

32 house fibers. The splitting is done with a prism; there is nothing powered in the box.

FIOS needs power at the house, and the CO...and nowhere else.

Reply to
David Lesher