FIOS doesn t work without AC?

Dig? Wires are overhead. The tech who came to the house this week said he d= idn't see copper leading to the house.

I take that to mean that when they put > On 11-03-2012 00:14, snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote: >=20

s to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensu= ring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few h= ours. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use= isn't powerful enough for it.

u can never go back to it.

Reply to
missingchild

maybe your own charger and disconnect their charger but their tech told me specifically that a bigger battery wouldn't work with their little charging system. I suppose you could keep a car or marine battery separately charged and just hook it up when you need to.

If you plug their stuff into a UPS instead of the wall, they can't tell the difference.

make the battery last longer for the more-important phone service (or maybe TV/internet use so much more power they'd drain the battery really fast).

Phone, internet, TV--all digital signals through the same modem. similar power requirements. Bit-rate does make a tiny difference.

That's not to say they won't shut it off for other reasons--reasons which might be technically valid or might just be an expression of someone's ignorance.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

didn't see copper leading to the house.

That is true. In some places.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

During the recent Sandy outage my FIOS network interface box held for about 20 hrs on its own battery. Not sure if it's about right or it's already feeling its age. Regardless, the Internet service was gone almost immediately, only TV and phone lasted. Actually, scratch that - I don't know if TV lasted much longer than 3 hours because then I ran out of juice to power the TV (and the 60W cable box). Phone lasted to the end but of course after the network interface died the phone service was gone, too.

During previous outages Internet was not down so quickly, so I'm not sure if it was some unlucky cable that a tree landed on or perhaps Verizon anticipated a long outage and shut down the power-hungry service remotely (my conjecture - I'm not sure they can do that).

So yeah, FIOS with power is awesome, FIOS without power is dead.

Reply to
DA

still watch their (Optimum) DVR.

maybe your own charger and disconnect their charger but their tech told me specifically that a bigger battery wouldn't work with their little charging system. I suppose you could keep a car or marine battery separately charged and just hook it up when you need to.

Because a charger needs to be properly sized. The really simple solution is to plug the ONT into a UPS.

make the battery last longer for the more-important phone service (or maybe TV/internet use so much more power they'd drain the battery really fast).

because the base unit needs it (although some systems allow for batteries in the base unit too).

Reply to
George

A UPS seems rather inefficient- converting AC to DC then back to AC then DC= ?

My solution would be to get a couple of marine (or car) batteries and put t= hem on a charger every couple of months (I have an X10 so I could program i= t to go on one night every two months if that's enough) and then simply jum= per those batteries if the power goes out. It's not automatic but they'll h= old a charge a lot longer than a UPS will.

Although I'd like to tell Verizon that they can have my century-tested copp= er wiring when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Reply to
missingchild

didn't see copper leading to the house.

wiring. Not for the wire but for business reasons.

I have underground so I think in those terms, and I took it to mean that they cut off the wire it goes into the ground.

start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber.

Others have said this is their plan too, btw, and they certainly pushed it on me a lot when I called about an internet outage.

few hours. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

can never go back to it.

Reply to
micky

still watch their (Optimum) DVR.

your own charger and disconnect their charger but their tech told me specifically that a bigger battery wouldn't work with their little charging system. I suppose you could keep a car or marine battery separately charged and just hook it up when you need to.

make the battery last longer for the more-important phone service (or maybe TV/internet use so much more power they'd drain the battery really fast).

because the base unit needs it (although some systems allow for batteries in the base unit too).

Monday night, I had 21 power failures of one second each. And yeah, the cordless phone kept hanging up on my phone call. After 3 times I went to the corded phone. Every time the power came back on, the 15 year old 14" color tv would make a noise, a very short growl, even though it was off before the outage and stayed off after the power came back.

Reply to
micky

hrs on its own battery

Thanks a lot for the info.

If people called YOU, would you hear the phone ring during that time? And could you answer it, or did you have to see the number and call them back?

Internet service was gone almost immediately, only TV and phone lasted. Actually, scratch that - I don't know if TV lasted much longer than 3 hours because then I ran out of juice to power the TV (and the 60W cable box). Phone lasted to the end but of course after the network interface died the phone service was gone, too.

was some unlucky cable that a tree landed on or perhaps Verizon anticipated a long outage and shut down the power-hungry service remotely (my conjecture - I'm not sure they can do that).

Ugh.

Reply to
micky

them on a charger every couple of months (I have an X10 so I could program= it to go on one night every two months if that's enough) and then simply j= umper those batteries if the power goes out. It's not automatic but they'll= hold a charge a lot longer than a UPS will.

pper wiring when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I had FIOS, the internet part worked well, but the phone part was garbage and customer service sucked.....

I had a battery failure at just a few months old and they tried charging me for a new battery:(

I was told you cant plug a UPS into the ONT but no one seemed to know why..

probably because the FIOS backbone had a short life in a power failure. the backup battery only powered the phone line.

power out? internet died, I never had FIOS TV but beieve it dies in a power failure too.

now take a major outage like a hurricane, even if you had a whole house power backup the fios backup is only good till the first link fails...copper used to run forever..

my FIOS phone had trouble

after my fios got noisey for 3 months:( about every 12 calls a loud buzz would be on my phone, eventually it made things unusable. verizon reps blamed my interior wiring even though all techs at my home replicated the issue with my house disconnected. I was under contract for FIOS and they refused to let me out, against compan policy.

I called intermittently for 3 months:( every business day for 3 weeks, and finally esclated it to the presidents office, just 2 calls to them got a network tech to check things out and find it was a bad router in their central office.... it effected everyone in my prefix.....

after this i was out of contract i had done my 2 years in verizon phone hell, I got a cell phone with unlimited minutes:(

so I called and canceled my outgoing call package, IDIOT verizon cancelled my entire phone line, first time they fixed it in a hour, but some days later their system burped and callers to my business got the this phone number is no longer in service, for 4 days. the verizon reps didnt care and my call to their presidents office got them yelling at me who gave you this number no one is supposed to give it out.

after that i went with a different company

anyone is better than verizon!!!!!!

I feel sorry for anyone in a new FIOS area, unrelenting calls, junk mail and visiting sales people at dinner time. I had the last 3 of them escorted off my property by the police...

Reply to
bob haller

When the network interface was still hanging on, the phone was pretty much usable like nothing happened - calling in and out, ringing and CallerID working just fine. When it died, I think someone mentioned that my number returned a busy signal for some reason. But I can't really vouch for that - I didn't try myself and it would seem a no-answer would be more appropriate.

Reply to
DA

micky wrote:

usable like nothing happened - calling in and out, ringing and CallerID working just fine. When it died, I think someone mentioned that my number returned a busy signal for some reason. But I can't really vouch for that - I didn't try myself and it would seem a no-answer would be more appropriate.

My friend's went to voice mail right away, but maybe you have to set voice mail up or there is none.

Reply to
micky

correct Fios has a battery at your home which is your responsibility to maintain.

during a power failure, the battery powers your phone, for a few hours only.

seems to me the lobbyists did their job convincing the govt that this is ok, and we loose..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I got a fast-busy when I called a fios number after the battery died. (the line doesn't have voicemail)

Reply to
missingchild

You are absolutely correct! I hung onto my copper line as long as I could. A Verizon service technician told me that Verizon was not putting any money into the maintenance of copper lines. The lines were getting worse so outages were becoming more frequent. The number of technicians that could repair them was shrinking as they retired or left the company since new technicians were not being trained, at least as thoroughly, as they needed to be to service copper lines. Finally, Verizon offered to install FiOS for free. I found it interesting that they were charging at the start of the changeover several years ago. I read recently that Verizon's desire to change over more quickly has subsided since they are not making as much money on FiOS as they planned.

I was told the battery lasts about eight hours of actual use time so unless you make / receive calls lasting eight hours straight, the battery should last for several days. I hate the idea of having to use a battery for my phone in an emergency but I know that Radio Shack sells the batteries. The batteries also last about five years at which time they should be replaced as part of a PM program. I have been thinking about getting a backup battery and regularly topping off the charge with a trickle charger but I have procrastinated on this.

Reply to
Baron

You could have a 5 year backup battery, but if verizons FIOS backbone only has 12 hour backup thats all you will get:(

The backup battery size was likely selected to fail just a bit earlier than their entire system.

When I questioned verizon no one would EVER answer how long their system was good for

Reply to
bob haller

I remember telephones were all the mechanical dial type. The touch tone phones came out and it was extra for them. Even when you could install your own phone they wanted extra for a touch tone line. They finally did away with that. Not sure if the mechanical ones even work now on the lines.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You can try it if your phone has a switch labeled "Tone/Pulse". Switch it to pulse and dial a phone number (your cell) and see if the call goes through after it gets through with all the clicking. I sell and service telecom systems so I know how it works. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No dial tone once the fios battery is dead. Tone or pulse, makes no difference.

Reply to
missingchild

Have not faced that problem. I do have a generator but it is not wired in to where I have my DVR. I had thought that the recorded shows were on a hard drive in the DVR and it always tells you how much space is being used. We've been lucky the last few years and I can't recall more than a half day's power outage since I bought the generator and cable or copper line signals were never lost.

Reply to
Frank