Filling big cracks in driveway...

I am talking 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, some smaller areas thicker than that...Here is my idea, tell me if this might work. (This is an asphalt driveway, BTW). Dig out the cracks with a can opener or something pointed to make some depth, blow out the dirt with a leaf blower, fill the crack liberally with quick dry cement, sweep off the excess, mist with the garden hose to set the cement, then cover the driveway with black sealant.
Is this too Mickey Mouse to work or what?
Thanks,
Bluesman

Yes. Cracks in asphalt should be patched with asphalt, or asphalt patching compound.
http://www.bobvila.com/FixItClub/Task/Repairing/FIG_Asphalt.html
Of course, if your driveway is cracking because the dirt under it moves, nothing you do short of digging it up and layingit in properly is going to work for long.
If the cracks are due to ground movement, there is a latex caulk available that is the color of concrete and has grit in it for patching cracks in concrete - - I used it on a sidewalk, it has the advantage of being flexible so it won't crack again in a month or two like a "real" concrete patch.