Filling Cracks in Concrete Driveway

I've tried the vinyl concrete in the past with less than stellar results. I'm thinking of using a more flexible filler such as silicone II caulk with a dusting of sand patted over the top for cosmetic purposes. I'll brush/vac away the excess after the caulk dries.

Does anyone have any good experiences with patching concrete driveway cracks, long term?

Reply to
mike

Hi, There is sealant for that(similar to Silicon II). My back yard parking pad has a crack about 1/4 in. wide which is filled with this stuff. It stays put for more than 3 yars now. Squeeze in as much as you can and smooth it out.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

bondo, but obviously not if it's still moving. i'm always digging out caulk and crappy repair mastic out of cracks. i'd rather just fill it for good. you could use a little extra hardner with the household bondo puddy. frame off your job and pour it fast to get the liquid settleing effect. =) gotta luv that bondo. i repaired cracks in my swimming pool deck and you can hardly see them any more.

Reply to
jthread

Pourcrete. A powder that you add water until it has the consistency of pancake batter. Pour it in the cracks. Don't make a lot at one time, as it hardens FAST.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I caulked the driveway cracks 5 years go, then the caulk split open so I consider it is a temporary fix. You may have better results if your concrete is more stable than mine.

Reply to
Phisherman

depending on the size of the crack. it got me looking at my dw and it has a tiny 1/4" crack. for that i'd leave it. if it was larger i'd use bondo cause it's going to be easier to get out w/chisel as opposed to caulk.

Reply to
jthread

Thanks for all the responses.

I have a feeling the failure of much of the original vinyl concrete patch was due to thermal expansion and contraction, so I'll give the flexible filler a go, but I'll be sure to keep these other ideas in queue as I also have a feeling that this will come up again sometime, unfortunately.

Reply to
mike