Faucet question

I have several 20 year old Moen faucets in my house. The single "pull" style faucets all tend to stick to some degree. I have disassembled than and am ready to replace the "O" rings. In the past I have tried to lubricate them but no matter what I put on them it doesn't stay past the first day and the cartridge eventually starts to stiffen up again.

Should I leave the new O rings unlubricated? or is there some lubrication that will stand the test of time?

Ed

Reply to
wildfire

I've never had that problem with mine. Be sure the inside is clear of any buildup that can scratch the O rings.

There are lubricants made specifically for O rings. It is a clear jel looking stuff and should be available from any place that sells industrial supplies. I know McMaster-Carr has it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your nearest pool supply shop should carry O-ring lubricant. It's kinda like Vaseline and it holds up really well on the rubber O-ring on our pool filter.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

You have to lube with silicone grease!!! Anything else, and the rubber parts in the cartridge are toast. If you have in fact used other lube, get a new cartridge, and get some silicone grease to use after a couple of years when it starts to get stiff again. Moen has some they will sell you, but I just use tune-up grease (you know, for spark plugs), mainly because I have it lying around.

Reply to
donald girod

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Moen single-handle is the *stupidest design principle ever*, impossible to control, and difficult to operate. I don't know why they are so popular. For a while it was the cheap alternative to Delta single-handle faucets when Delta still had the patent on their ball mechanism, which is the right way to do it (tilting a joystick lever instead of clumsy axial pull). Now that the patents are all expired, you can get a Delta for $60, American Standard clone for $40, or import clone for $20. No point in keeping the Moen.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I rather like the design of the Moen faucets. and they are easy to repair. in my house that was built in 1974, I have only had to replace the cartridge in 1 faucet. All the others still work great.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Surely you must mean the look rather than the function.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch