face shield

Hi,
Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those (not possible with a medieval looking device).
Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Add pictures here
✖
Aaron Fude wrote:

They are sold by laboratory supply stores such as Fisher:
http://www.fishersci.com/wps/portal/SEARCHRESULTS?keyWord úce+shield&restrictedCategoryId=&N=0&Ntk=all&rpp=&suppCatNoOnOff=&imagesOnOff=&highlightOnOff=&teaserOnOff=&store=Scientific&type=&showAdvanceOptions
Add pictures here
✖

Harbor freight has several options for face and eye protection that fit over glasses, including full face shields that flip up, as well as goggles. All under $20
Add pictures here
✖

Oh, absolutely. *Far* better than goggles. I stopped using goggles about 12-15 years ago, right after the first time I used a face shield. A face shield doesn't make your glasses fog up the way many goggles do, and IMO it's more comfortable besides. But those aren't the most important advantages: First, since a face shield is much easier to put on and take off than goggles, you're more likely to use it; protective gear doesn't work if you don't wear it. Second, there are other things on your face besides your eyes that need protection. I know from some of your other posts that you have and use a table saw. Table saws occasionally eject offcuts back toward the operator; the tip speed on a typical 10" table saw is around 110mph. Picture taking a taking a piece of wood the size of, say, a deck of cards, moving at 110mph, on your nose. Or in your teeth.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Do-It-Best Hardware

Never saw one like that.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:39:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

They sell sets of a faceshield and muffs together for operating outdoor machinery, such as chainsaws, Chippers and similar.
Many folks wisely wear both goggles and a faceshield for some operations, as stuff often gets thrown up behind faceshields.
I wear both when operating my chipper for that reason.
Add pictures here
✖

Any place that sells Stihl (pronounced 'steel') chain saws will either have one or be able to get one, a hard hat with ear muffs & a wire face shield.
Add pictures here
✖

Arborist use them - sample
http://www.honeybros.com/gbu0-prodshow/HB31CB.html
External Shell - Advanced Thermo Material (ABS) Internal Shell - Polystirene (EPS) 180 Degree Clear Visor Peltor Optime II Ear Defenders Size - Unisize (54/62cm) Headlamp Clips Quick Release buckle Adjustable Size System UK VAT Excempt
Add pictures here
✖

I have been dealing with these guys for a while. They have all sorts of ear and eye protection. I keep a pair of safety/sun glasses on a croakie around my neck all the time and use a shield when I am in the shop. I do not hesitate to slip the safety glasses on at the least indication of a hazard. I really like seeing! My eye doctor gives the Crews glasses his seal of approval from an optical standpoint and they are really pretty cheap. ($4 or so) They are UV-a, UV-b and impact rated I buy the safety glasses a dozen at a time so I will replace them when they get scratched up.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 14:50:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Depends on what you're going to use it for. They have mesh ones for chainsawing. Clear ones for grinding. Tinted ones for OA welding or just reducing ambient arc rays. Tons of choices, some mounted on hard hats.
Don't cheap out. If you go blind or lose your hearing, they send you home early.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber™979
http://www.safetyvests.com/safetysupplies_sv/earprotection_sv/HB-3000

Add pictures here
✖

I have a different face shield for chainsaw work and another for work on the lathe. The chainsaw helmet shield (Husqvarna) is a metal mesh with muffs, very nice and comfortable. You need to get the one for your particular application.
I use a face shield in addition to safety glasses (no helmet) when working at the lathe. Woodcraft and Rockler carry them, about $25. I have the one from Rockler.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003705/2024/Face-Shield.aspx http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageS70&filter úce%20shield
Add pictures here
✖

That EXACT $24.95 rockler faceshield at Harbor Freight is $10 less
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberF526
$14.99
Add pictures here
✖

I use the kind that fastens on a hard hat. I finally learned if you need to protect your eyes you might as well protect the rest of your face too. Also these dont fog up and I can aways find it no matter where I place it in the shop.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖