Face Shield on Amazon on sale

I've used this full-face shield for over a year. It's my go-to shield and I just bought two more. Amazon is showing it as $22.82. Even if you have to buy several to get free shipping, it's worth it!

I haven't had the shield fog up on me (a big problem with safety goggles), but have had it get a little dusty. A quick wipe with a towel fixes that. It works with my Dust-B-Gone dust mask but not with my earmuff style hearing protection.

S8510/dp/B001VY3ACE

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Ordered. Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Now for the minimalist ;) I've been very pleased with these:

I bought them last summer for weedeating as an alternative to foggy, sweat-droplet-covered lens, safety glasses. My reading glasses fit nicely underneath so now I often use them in the shop as well.

I had originally interned to buy the $36 Bugz Eye goggles:

but I decided to try the cheaper Crossfire because I wasn't sure I could tolerate the restricted view of looking through wire screen. It turned out to be a non-issue for me.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Interesting! So, do you end up just not seeing the wire because it's so close to your eyes?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd be lying if I said the wires completely disappear, but for me, after a few seconds it becomes negligible. One thing worth mentioning is the Bugz Eye goggles are not coated/painted black like the others. A couple of the reviews I read (on Baileys or Amazon) mentioned when the sun was low and you looked in a particular direction sometimes they'd get a bright reflection into the eye from the shiny stainless strands. That hasn't been an issue w/black coated at all.

Another concern I had was how easily would the screen wire bend? I don't know if it's stainless or not but I think it would have to be considering the amazing amount of thumb pressure I can put on the lens area with zero bending/deflecting.

I was unaware 'mesh glasses' even existed until I ran across them while looking for wire mesh face shields at Bailey's site last year:

Spalted Walt

I have a mesh face shield for the chainsaw and I forget it's there. It just dims things a bit, which can be nice in bright daylight.

I just didn't know how it would work so close to the eyes. Cheap enough, I might give them a shot.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Good looking, but IF you have ever had a large chunk come flying off a blank at about 1500rpm, you are really glad that thing hit the face SHIELD and not your, much more sensitive, face.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

I have two peg boards, each side the shop. I'm so lazy, these days, I dislike walking across the shop to fetch something from the farther peg board.

My old face shield's head band broke several months ago, procrastinated about getting a new one, though I missed having one available.... the shield was dulled from long term use, anyway. I ordered two of these shields, one for each peg board.

Thanks for posting. Seems, I need a wake-up call, now and then.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Please note that this shield is not rated for high impact.

Reply to
swalker

That's probably the reason they have "Must be worn with safety eyewear or goggles" in the description.

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark:

Never be ashamed of a scar it simply means that you was stronger than whatever tried to hurt you. - Rumi

Spalted Walt

I almost lost an eye because of a bar clamp. My safety glasses did their job.

I was dry fitting a railing while building my deck. I clamped the railing to a post with a 36" bar clamp, stupidly pointing the bar end out into the yard. I stepped back about 10, 15' to see how the railing looked and decided to make an adjustment. As I walked back towards the deck my eyes were focused on the railing. About 3' from the railing my head snapped back as I walked straight into the 3/4" x 1/4" end of the steel bar. The end of the bar hit square in the middle of the left lens of my safety glasses, slid upwards and ripped a 3" long gash in my forehead starting right above the eyebrow.

I hit the bar with enough force to crack the lens of the glasses. I have no doubt that I would have pushed my eyeball into my skull if I hadn't have been wearing them. I felt myself going into shock while the blood ran down my face. The shock was more from fear of what could have happened vs. the actual blow to my head. I was literally shaking as I thought about the outcome had I not been wearing those safety glasses.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

These dovetail nicely with your personal experience:

Spalted Walt

Spalted Walt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I point this out every three or four years... guess it's time again: There are other things on your face besides your eyes that need protection. Goggles and safety glasses won't protect your nose or your teeth.

It's probably been twenty years since I've worn goggles or safety glasses in my shop. The face shield is so easy. So comfortable. Slips right over my prescription glasses. Doesn't fog. And has occasionally intercepted something headed straight for my mouth.

Reply to
Doug Miller

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:15cfb2c6-af7e-4e2d-8a3a- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

They might have saved your life.

Reply to
Doug Miller

e are other things on your

on't protect your

in my shop. The

glasses. Doesn't fog.

I agree. I started wearing a face shield when using a chipping hammer, but went to goggle because they are easier to keep up with. Back to face shie lds when I am turning on the lathe. Many years ago I got a nice little goo se egg in the middle of my forehead when a heavily spalted piece of punky p ecan blew apart and smacked me in the head.

Since then, the face shield has stopped an awful lot of flying debris from the lathe!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41