Quest Polybutylene pipe leaks

I was introduced to this infamous pipe 3 years ago when a supply line broke on my water heater. I learned the whole story about this pipe and subsequent law suits, all of which I have apparently missed. Now I have 2 small drip leaks from a Quest T-connection in my crawlspace. I have large buckets catching the water until the plumber gets here on Mon.

Question: A local plumber has offered to repipe my waterlines for $2500. I will then get the drywall repaired myself.

Another plumber said his company would to it for "about" $2000.

A contractor friend of my sister said he could have his plumber do the repipe and a sheetrock contractor repair the drywall for $2750. Finally another local plumber who's coming on Mon said he needs to evaluate things but proposes I could just replace every connection like Ts and valves, since that's where most of the leaks occur. This house was built in 1986. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
LRESA

I'd have the house done over, not just the fittings. Think a few years ahead. Think potential problems when you are away on vacation.

As for price, they re all in the same ballpark. I'd base my decision on reputation more than anything. The "about" price can easily get bumped up once the job is started so he'd be the first to be eliminated.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Didja try S-L-O-W-L-Y tightening the leakers ?

You have 3 (soon to be 4) quotes to re-do the PB.

Ask your neighbors if they've had theirs re-done, if so by WHOM (and were they satisfied with the work and end result)and for how much... There was a LARGE class action suit some 10 years ago on PB pipe and I think most of the claimants got theirs done for free. You could try and GOOGLE "polybutylene pipe settlement" to see if you -may- be still covered.

Reply to
Rudy