Extra Wax Ring

In setting a toilet, how would I know if an extra wax ring is required?
Ranger wrote:

If the flange is much lower than the finished floor.

If the flange is not 1/4" above the finished floor most likely you need a double.
If you don't have to use moderate pressure to get the base of the toilet to touch the floor you need a double.
Use a standard wax ring on the bottom and one with the plastic collar on the top. This refers to the flange and not the toilet.
You almost always need 2 if you have added tile to floor and did not extend the flange.
Colbyt

You will know by the 'feel' when sitting the toilet. Normally, there is kind of a cushion squish as the toilet sinks into the wax ring.
There is a product you can buy besides a wax ring. It is like a rubber donut that you install around the toilet sleeve. When you place the toilet into the flange, the donut rolls inside the flange to produce a tight seal. I installed it about a year ago and haven't had a problem yet. I have an elderly person with bad knees staying with us and the toilet gets "plopped" on daily. The wax rings just aren't forgiving enough..