Electronic Air Cleaner

My central electronic cleaner no longer makes the "snap" "snap" noise. The buttons on the unit do light up when the furnace goes on. There is very little dust in the unit but there doesn't seem to be much dust in the house either. How do I know if this unit is working?

there should be a 'test' button on the front. When its pressed it should 'snap', If
you
don't have a button then the only way to be sure is to have it tested by a service