Electric service panels within apartment units

I am trying to understand what the NEC requirements are for new service disconnects and electric service panels within existing individual apartment units. I think I almost have it down, but I'm not quite sure about one or two things.

This is a 3-unit apartment building and I just had the 3 main panels replaced and added a 4th "common area" service panel. The design included locating each of the 3 service panels within each of the 3 individual apartment units, and the 4th service panel within the common utility/heater room. In obtaining the permit, the town told the electrician that he had to modify the plan a little by putting all 4 service disconnect switches on the outside of the 3-unit dwelling. The reason was in case of a fire the fire department could cut off the power from the outside of the building. That left the 4 service panels being set up as subpanels -- one within each individual apartment unit, and one within the common area utility/heater room. Each of those 4 subpanels also has a main breaker that serves as a service disconnect for that panel.

All of that is okay with me. The work was done and although I haven't had the final inspection done yet, I assume the final inspection will go fine and everything will pass as is.

Here's my real question:

I may want to do some additional remodeling and one option would be to move one of the subpanels from within the individual apartment unit into the common utility/heater room. That apartment tenant would have access to the common utility/heater room, so he/she would still have access to the subpanel for his/her individual apartment unit. Is that okay to do? In other words, is it okay to move an individual apartment's subpanel out of the apartment and into a common utility/heater room as long as that tenant has access to his/her subpanel in the common utility/heater room?

If my description is confusing or needs clarification, let me know and I can try to explain it better.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jay-T

Yes.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

As long as the locals don't have a restriction of their own...

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree with DPB. You better ask downtown. The "outside disconnect" is not an NEC rule either so it is clear your town makes up their own rules.

Reply to
gfretwell

*In NJ that would be acceptable. Of course other considerations such as spacing and clearance could be an issue.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Reply to
Jay-T

I think the concept here is that these are not NEC requirements, but rather local modifications to the code. The local AHJ could require a big ol' lever disconnect with a rubber chicken impaled on it if they wanted and it would be code. You need to check with your AHJ / inspector to verify what the requirements are, not an Internet newsgroup, or even the NEC code book.

Reply to
Pete C.

NEC is nothing but a set of minimum requirements. You must also meet your local code ordnances, which is the NEC plus. So, call your local code enforcement office to the right answer; do not depend on anything you hear here.

HTH,

Twayne` e great places to get assistance. But always verify important information with other sources to be certain you have a clear understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Reply to
Twayne