EdenPURE Gen4

Page 2 of 2

Don't involve me in this...his name is "Bob Vila".

Not correct. Heat flow is proportional to some power > 1 of the temperature difference. It's been too many years since I knew and I'm too lazy to look it up tonight. But reducing the temp diff by 1/4 will save a lot more than 1/4 of the energy use and thus of the bill.
Edward

Harry is mostly correct on this one. The rate of heat loss from a closed system is proportional to the temperature difference. Cut the differential in half and you cut the heat loss rate in half. If you have a sealed tank with water at 70, it will take twice as much heat input to keep it at 110 as it would to keep it at 90. However, a house isn't closed. Not only do you lose heat through the walls, ceiling, etc. you also lose some heat due to air leakage. But overall, I'd say Harry;s estimate is in the ballpark.
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:36:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Sorry, yes, you're right -- for conduction.
For radiation, the transfer rate is proportional to the difference between the fourth powers of the temperatures:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan.html#c2
So with good insulation in the case under discussion, with most of the heat interchange being conductive, the total interchange is close to directly proportional.
However, most wall systems do involve some radiative transfer too, and walls with no insulation will have quite significant radiative transfer. However, I don't know just how much.
Edward

Old houses often have little or no insulation in the walls.
My place is double brick, with 3/4" batten strips , covered with wood lath and horse hair plaster. I would have to tear off the plaster and window trim to add the framing and insulation.

You misunderstand what that means. It's a legal disclaimer. Like the Microsoft logo...a warning label.