Easy-off was sprayed in a Self-Cleaning oven (2023 Update)

I have a rental property in which I hired a cleaning lady to get ready for my new tenants. Well she sprayed Easy-Off in a Self-Cleaning oven and now the finish inside the oven is ruined.

We've ran the SelfCleaning option a few times to get rid of the remaining junk in the oven. Since it seems the glossy texture is ruined does this cause any hazzard to the house or make the oven un-safe to use? or will cooking in that oven create any health hazzards?

Reply to
Dhiman

bamboo

I can't speak for ALL self cleaning ovens, but I've occasionally used EZ-Off on mine with no ill effect at all. I wonder if the finish in yours was already on its last legs. What brand & model?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Besides the EZ-Off, what tool did she use to scrub with? Maybe a scrubber made of metal?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know that self cleaning ovens use any different finish than a regular oven. I myself just cleaned a 20+ year old oven at my new place with Easy-Off with no issues and yes it is self cleaning, the previous owners just left too much stuff build up in there for the self cleaning cycle to take care of it. It looks fine, although I ran out of oven cleaner before I finished the rack. I concur with the other posters that if the finish is "ruined" it was probably not in particularly good shape before.

If you go back and wipe down the inside of the oven with Windex or similar it should remove any oven cleaner residue. It's basically just a lye solution anyway, nothing particularly harmful unless you let it sit on your skin or huff the fumes.

nate

Reply to
N8N

No hazzard. Just wipe off residue with water. Strong caustic can etch/dissolve glass and ceramics but products are not toxic although they are still caustic.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

thanks for all the respones... and yes, I think she used a metal brush on it. So its that nice polish finish is gone from what my renters have told me. Its a GE Oven, not sure of the model, its only 2-3 years old at the most.

so is there a way to get that finish back? a spary can of something that will give it the gloss look? and also... just use Windex to get whatever is left inside will do okay?

My renters had a maid come in and its the maid who told them the oven is ruined inside... I know the oven works so I assume she could only mean the finish inside as that is what the renters described to me.

thanks again

Reply to
Dhiman

I'd open the yellow pages, find an appliance parts place, and see if they sell any sort of product for resurfacing the porcelain or whatever it's made of.

If the renters seem to have enough presence of mind to do something easy, and if the worst damage is on the bottom of the oven, just ask them to consistently use a piece of heavy duty foil on the bottom.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A maid told your renters that an oven's finish is ruined... Nothing like getting first hand information from an expert.

If you run the self-cleaning cycle a couple of times, it will burn off whatever is left after the oven is wiped clean. The rougher surface will require a bit more maintenance, but it shouldn't materially affect the performance or life of the oven. It's unlikely that the person who used the EZ-Off did more than scuff up the surface, but without seeing detailed pictures, it's impossible to say how bad it is. In the worst case scenario, if the wire brush cut grooves in the finish, the interior coating would heat/expand at different rates and lead to spalling. I think this is unlikely.

I don't know of any surface coating that can be applied in the house that would stand up to repeated self-cleaning cycles.

RicodJour

Oops.

I don't think a "spray can of something" is going to be heat resistant enough to stand up to a self-clean cycle, nor would I really want spray paint outgassing on my pot pie.

I think you're going to have to go take a look at it and decide what to do from there. If it really is hosed, perhaps just the oven liner is still available as a service part? Or if it's not scratched too deeply, maybe hand polish with some rubbing compound followed by a polish (like you'd do to a scratched or weathered automotive paint finish)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

replying to Dhiman, Upset wrote: It definately ruins the finish in a self cleaning oven.

Reply to
Upset

replying to Dhiman, Upset wrote: It definately ruins the finish in a self cleaning oven.

Reply to
Upset

On Thu 22 Mar 2018 01:14:02p, Upset told us...

Many self-cleaning ovens to not have a shiny/glossy finish. It depends on the manfacturer. What I would be more concerned about is the use of a metal brush to use in the cleaning process.

I doubt seriously if your oven is actually RUINED, although it may always be unattractive. The self-cleaning cycle can reach as high as

800?F. which vapaorizes any spatters or spills on the interior, including the glass in the door if it has glass. It has far more to do with temerature than it does with the finish.

I also doubt that there is any non-commercial product that can be used to refinish the oven, short of taking it to a specialized appliance repair shop who can handle such a job.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

WTF. Who the hell sticks their head into an oven to check the finish? My food doesn't give a hoot what the inside of the oven looks like.

Reply to
catalpa

replying to Dhiman, Janet wrote: I have a kitchenaid electronic oven "self cleaning" with aqualift. I use quotes because it should be "useless cleaning".The first time I cleaned my oven it loosened the dirt in the bottom cavity of the oven. I had to clean the walls and top with a brillo pad. This time I used oven cleaner and it took some of the finish on the interior of the oven off. I realize no one but my husband and I see the interior but I paid a lot of money for this stove and it is made so cheaply I want to kick it to the curb. I had Electrolux in NY and I had no issues with it. I should have bought that again. I guess I will be going back to the brillo pad.

Reply to
Janet

Ten year old Kitchenaid double ovens here. The self-cleaning works OK here. It doesn't come out spotless, but it's clean enough. Wipe out the ash on the bottom and it looks pretty good to me, good enough that no more cleaning is worth it. If you use a scrub pad or similar, I would think you'd rub off the finish. I think they have some catalyst on it and if you screw that, goodbye self-cleaning.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Janet, Nicholas wrote: Wow, I'm with you completely, with the exact same problem. A $2500.00 stove and it looks terrible because, out of desperation, I tried oven cleaner. Now stained and terrible looking.

Reply to
Nicholas

replying to Nicholas, Malcolm wrote: Same thing happened to our Kitchenaid oven. My wife used EZ-Off yesterday and now the oven liner is all blotched and dull. Did you get any ideas of what to do to fix the problem or is the liner essentially ruined? Thanks

Reply to
Malcolm

This is an anonymous group. Man-up and don't blame this on your wife.  That's just sad.

And when you get your new oven, read your owner's manual.

Reply to
Allen Holder

replying to Malcolm, Laura a wrote: Did anyone respond or answer your question? We just had the same issue in our oven. Easy off was a terrible idea.

Reply to
Laura a