Drywall Repair

Hi,
I will be patching a whole in the wall by screwing in a piece of drywall into the whole. I am wondering if I really need to tape the joint and then cover it with drywall compound, or can I forgo this step and just clean up the joint with spackle?
Thanks,
Marc

Alway do the whole, not just part. This is a good start.
I am wondering if I really need to tape the joint and then

How big is the whole hole? Small patches can be done with no tape.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Yes, you will want to tape it. You are likely to see cracks if you don't.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
If you keep your tolerances tight to minimze the gap in the new drywall piece you should be fine without the tape. If your gaps are too big you can get cracks as Joe mentioned.
Thanks for all your input,
Marc