Re Replacing drywall along whole wall (by

Just a simple question related to this. Assuming I want to remove all the

> drywall along a wall - if I wanted to keep the ceiling intact, should I run > a knife along the corner first to break the joint tape?

yes

> I guess I'm wondering if pulling down the wall will shred the ceiling > regardless of how careful I am doing it.

The ceiing most likrly went up first, so not necessarily

I guess in some regard I have to

feather the corner when I retape so maybe this is a moot point anyway

not really, the better the demo (ckeaner,straighetr cuts etc) the quicker the new work will go

maybe I can cut the drywall say 6 inches from the corner and not remove the > wall all the way to the ceiling then that makes installing the repair a bit > simpler.

Don't do this for a number of reasons: Assuming your ceilings are not an even 8 ft up it may seem that this would be true as u will have to rip some of the rock to fit the ceiling height. HOWEVER, if you cut the rock the way u describe you will have to clean up the cut at each stud to ensure a tight butt joint. that joint will, BTW. be a tapered edge (new sheetrock) to a non tapered edge (the old sheetrock) also you may cut the drywall at or above the nail or screw, meaing the sheetrock has no attachment near the joint Also unless the wall MAY have sections of rock running vertically. etc etc etc Cut it to the ceiling i rake repair work like this right to the lid (ceiling)

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
scot