drywall question

Hello All:

I recently had some rainwater leak into my house and, as a result, there is now a yellow ring (about the size of a basketball) on my ceiling.

My drywall in this area feels normal to the touch (not spongy) and the ceiling shows not signs of sagging.

Do I need to cut out and replace this area of discoloration or can I simply apply a coat of paint?

Thanks for any insight?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sorry for the duplicate post. Didn't realize my first post made it to the server.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You need to fix the leak in the roof and then use Bin or a similar product to hide the stain before you re-paint.

Reply to
houseslave

You can simply paint it. If it starts to sag later, you've lost nothing except a little paint.

You must prime it with a good quality primer or the water stain will bleed through the new paint. Shellac-based Kilz is a good choice.

Peter

Reply to
peter

I mixed the white paint with a little instant coffee to match the colour of the old ceiling.

Reply to
Martik

Nit-picking here, Kilz is Alkyd based (i.e synthetic alcohol solvent) thins and/or cleans up with Mineral Spirts or Naphtha. Zinssers B-I-N is a white pigmented Shellac based product (which I can't imagine anyone needing to thin). Cleanup is with denatured alcohol or ammonia.

J.P.

Reply to
TinMan1332