Shingle repair question

Had the roofers out two weeks ago and they put on a new three-tab roof with asphalt shingles.

Had the "antenna" guy over last week and he put up a new antenna. While antenna guy was on the roof, he mentioned that a shingle had a tear in it (he said he didn't do it and since I have known for quite awhile have no reason to disbelieve him).

Antenna guy said it just needed some caulking and I should call the roofers back. I looked and actually there are two damaged shingles (none of them anywhere near where the antenna guy was working.

One has a tear from the side. The tear starts about two inches down from the bottom edge of the overlapping shingle and is about four inches -- it goes almost in a straight line toward the center of the shingle. I didn't measure, but I guess the shingles are 12 inches across? They are standard sizes, anyway.

The second shingle looks as if part of the side was cut off, because just below the bottom edge of the overlapping shingle, there is a small strip missing, then a short vertical tear of less than an inch. This tear runs downward, not across like the other shingle. Think of a piece of standard office paper. It is as if you tore a small strip downward from the top edge of the paper and then pulled it off, leaving most of the paper intact, except for a small strip on the top left corner.

Is it worth calling the roofers back to fix this, which I imagine is pretty quick and easy to do....or should I go buy some mystery gunk at the hardware store and do it myself...In other words is this a real concern....

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

If you feel up to it replace the torn shingles yourself. They aren't sealed yet so it is easy. If you are handy and they left you some extra shingles. Get yourself a flatbar and lift the shingle above the damaged one enough to remove the 4 nails, slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Renail and your done. Better then waiting for him to come back. And you'll sleep better at night!

Reply to
Randd01

It's quick and easy to replace two shingles if you know how to do it. Since you are asking questions, you don't know how. You paid for a new roof. Let them come back and repair it. They should not object at all. ashphalt shingles are just felt impregnated with tar and granules. They easily tear. Sometimes the shingle guys don't even notice it. Your roof will be fine until they return.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Makes sense. Thanks!

Reply to