Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

Page 1 of 2

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.
I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has been working fine.
Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent hose is full of water. Gallons.
We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want to buy new appliances just to give them away.
Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is your friend.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and doesn't allow any venting.
If this is a gas dryer the OP is risking CO poisoning. If it is an electric, then his only fear is burning his house down.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Indeed but the point I was making was what caused this to initiate to begin with to collect that first amount of sufficient magnitude? Never seen such a thing from dryer exhaust alone; can't imagine it.
Mitch wrote:

That much water didn't come from the dryer in a couple of weeks.
Hint: Did it rain recently?

Gallons?
That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.
What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must be pretty strong.

check for a low spot in line like a drip loop that allows water to collect, that happened to me.
and make certain the vent hood is open and unobstructed, it might be stuck shut.
another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent line
clipped

That would be my guess...can't imagine what else unless there is a sprinkler head shooting water in from outside.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:12:56 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would be ruled out (mostly).

In that case perhaps the vent cap blew off or got pulled off by a raccoon. Or rain got blown in.

Good answer.
Pending an OP review and comment.
--
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly." -- Customer
wrote:

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end TIA Hank

Sure. Portray it as a feature. Not as a problem.
I'm sre you don't need a new dryer.
The problem is at the hose, not the dryer.

Is the entire dryer vent line clear? Can you feel air coming out of the outside vent?
On 7/8/2010 8:57 AM, Mitch wrote:

If you used a metal hose instead of plastic and the laundry room is relatively cool due to air conditioning, the problem could be simple to fix by changing to a plastic hose. I've had to insulate a few long dryer vents because of condensation forming in the vent. As others may have already pointed out, your vent could be clogged. Look outside and you may find that there is a plastic grid in your your dryer vent that could be blocked with lint.
TDD

Dunno, my water hose keeps filling up with lint!
Mitch, did you ever find the resolution? Found your post while doing some research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and clean out my dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW to dr y (3 hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other problem is t hat the vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my home a nd then back up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet from the laundry room to the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going to ha ve to move the vent.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

The last post in this thread was in July 2010. Thank you for using the Google Groups interface, and NOT quoting the original article so Usenet readers could tell what you are replying to. We need these little exercises in futility.
Where do you think the water is coming from? I'm guessing rain.
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:58:22 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You ARE going to have to move the vent. Drier vents should only go up directly outof the drier - from there only level or down, and never more than about 10 feet. The shorter and more direct the better. As the exhaust coole, moisture condenses out, and it will run back to the low point.
Whoever designed and installed that vent was totally clueless