Drier Won't Dry

I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent, and the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike

disconnect vent temporarily and leave it vent indoors for one load.

does it dry better?

obstructed clogged vent line

or are clothes from washer heavier.

washer may not be spinning them out good, causing too wet trouble, sopping wet clothes take longer to dry

Reply to
hallerb

Is the hot air that comes out of the vent moving in a forceful manner? Is it possble that you have a partial blockage and that you are not getting *enough* air flow through the vent?

Are you sure the unit is spinning sufficiently?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Lint trap clean? Full of lint elsewhere because it hadn't been kept clean before?

What's RH? If you're in one of these areas that has been getting so much rain than normal, more humid air than you're used to will cause longer drying times even in a drier.

Stackable units just don't have the capacity of freestanding if that's what you're used to and comparing against, too...

--

Reply to
dpb

One more thing...

Over-filling the drier will reduce its effectiveness, too...

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, it's not overfilled, and the washer spins OK, so I don't think it's an issue of wet clothes.

I like the idea of dis-connecting the vent for a lot and seeing if that helps. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Mike

Put a piece of stocking or likewise over it or you may have a mess...would be instructional to see what it catches, if anything, anyway.

Would possibly help to know if this is new/old drier, new/old to you, new/old problem, etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

My dryer didn't work at all in the summer in the basement ; for that matter, the metal down there was rusting from all the humidity.

Solved by putting up screens instead of windows on the basement, in the warm season. That dropped the humidity (partly by raising the temperature, of course; but also by exchanging air).

I suppose a dehumidifier would have the same beneficial effect but air is free.

And there's always a clothesline for big objects if nothing else.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

The drier is new to me, but not really new. We've been in the house for a year, and seen no difference (a'la Ron's humidity suggestion).

I'll post my results.

Reply to
Mike

Plugged vent line.

Reply to
<kjpro

Use a leaf blower or air gun on a compressor to blow out the vent tube. Then take the dryer outside, and blow out every possible air passage. Then lift the top and blow out around the drum, Then blow out the passages again. Fixed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F