Filling in the hole left by a tumbler drier vent

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

Thanks, Colin E.

Reply to
Colin Eberhardt

What's the wall construction and external finish?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi,

It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is breeze-block and plasterboard.

Colin E.

Reply to
Colin Eberhardt

-Hi,

-It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is

-breeze-block and plasterboard.

Bricks then "to give a better finish externally".

Personally I would call it cavity ventilation and put a dark brown grille over it.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I like that idea - a Grille would look much better than expanded foam!

Thanks, Colin E.

Reply to
Colin Eberhardt

,

Obtain some matching red bricks, cut out the 'half' bricks around the hole and make good with complete ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That stuff also degrades in light, so wouldn't be suitable for the outside faces of the walls anyway.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have filled two external holes in my house left by garage drier outlet and other from moved kitchen extractor.

For the drier vent I carefully cut out the cut 1/2 bricks and replaced with whole bricks I had left over from conservatory build. Was OK but the cement used in house build was coloured yellow (FebTone Yellow) and mine wasn't, doesn't show too much as at ground level. I didn't really fancy paying £12 for 1kg of yellow colouring for such a small amount of brickwork. The inner breeze block wall I cemented in the half bricks I cut out from outside. Inner wall was in garage and once painted white to match rest of wall doesn't really show.

The kitchen vent I just changed to a low profile brown vent plate as I had no more bricks left, no yellow cement and would be visible. Internally it was filled with expanding foam by the kitchen fitters, plastered over and is now behind a cupboard.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4116 (20090529) __________

Ian_m