Holes in a Ceiling - How to Make Good?

Hi all,
Since my ongoing re-wire was always going to take forever, I decided to
cut access holes in the downstairs ceilings rather than lifting the
upstairs floorboards. Now I've finally got round to making good the
damage in the lounge. The ceiling is plasterboard with a flat skim and
there are 30off 200mm circular holes to make good. I still have all the
plugs, so I'll be putting them back by screwing them to battens
gripfilled across the holes.
Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them and then get the ceiling skimmed (I wouldn't attempt to skim
the ceiling myself). Now though, I'm wondering if it would be less
hassle to fill each one properly and dispense with the skim...
Cheers,
Colin.
Reply to
Colin Stamp
Probably the best idea with so many holes. You could put the plasterboard up yourself.
Reply to
harry
No, but that's not very appealing as the new lounge setup has a high shelf for AV stuff, which is fixed and already a bit marginal for ceiling height.
Skimming the existing ceiling would be pretty cheap though. That is, my brother will do it if I re-plumb his washing machine on the opposite side of his kitchen and replace two gate valves on his heating system.
The problem though, is how long it'll be before he gets time to do it. If I fill the holes individually, I can start now...
Cheers,
Colin.
Reply to
Colin Stamp
Easi-fill? I'd been thinking of giving that a try. I've been using Toupret for the top layer of the chases and I've done a test hole using that for now. Something I can mix in industrial quantities might well be better if I decide to do the whole lot myself...
Cheers,
Colin.
Reply to
Colin Stamp
lightweight ready mixed filler e.g "red devil" litre tubs if not more - slap it on aim for flush, sets quick, sands smooth as a baby's........
Jim K
Reply to
Jim K
Either works. Filling means no need to wait, and he can do something else for you. I like to run a straight edge over a big hole, and finish fill another time.
Next time if you make sensible 2.5" holes its far easier & faster to fill.
NT
Reply to
meow2222
you. I like to run a straight edge over a big hole, and finish fill another time.
Yep. I think I might have to go for it. The situation is complicated a bit by building control. They haven't been to look at the job yet, so it'd be nice to leave the holes open until they do. If I decide filling will look reasonable, I can re-fix the coving and paint the walls first, giving them a bit more time to turn up before I hide the wiring. Skimming will mean the whole job will grind to a halt for a bit.
Most of the holes were for drilling joists. Some were for heating system plumbing, then there's the faff of changing the size on the hole cutter. Anyway, I like a bit of elbow room :o)
Cheers,
Colin.
Reply to
Colin Stamp