Door knob lock tumbler shifted or something

Do any of you know why or if the tumbler in a door knob can shift causing it to not let the door be opened? I was just locked out and I didn't even lock the door when I stepped outside for a few minutes. It seemed like it was the deadbolt but I really think it is the door knob lock. I had the locks changed a year ago by a locksmith rather then changing out the door knobs and deadbolts.

Reply to
Cheryl

Likely not the tumbler- most likely one of the metal tabs or fingers that make all the parts link together. Take it all apart and put it back together will probably fix it, for awhile at least. Locksmith that did the work should have spoken up if the internal parts were worn. Did they give you a warranty on the work? I'd call them anyway, and describe the issue. Just for sake of goodwill, they may give you a price break on a follow-up service call.

As cheap as residential-grade knobs and deadbolts are, rather than mess with a locksmith, I just went to the big-box and bought enough sets keyed alike, and swapped them all out. Only reason NOT to do that, IMHO, is if you have some fancy entry door latch set that does not use easily-available parts.

Reply to
aemeijers

Can you take it apart if the door won't open? It won't even open from the inside. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to replace them without being able to open the door.

Locksmith that did

Thanks. I have been looking for the receipt from the locksmith and can't find it. I'm not that organized with paperwork other then certain more important things.

I only got a locksmith rather than change out 2 knobs and 2 deadbolts was because I was rushed and needed to do other things while it was done,and I was leaving on vacation a day after I was afraid someone had copied my key. This time I will replace them all myself with new ones. I'm just afraid to leave the house now. LOL

Reply to
Cheryl

were worn. Did they

LOL...

Sounds like the latch FUBAR'D itself...

Unscrew the two screws on the inside holding the door knob to the door, then remove both halves of the knob, then manually open the latch...

I suggest obtaining a replacement knob first...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

LOL! I understand it sounds funny and especially to be almost locked INSIDE my house because I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to the back door since it was re-keyed the same as the front, but it freaked me out not to be able to get in, and then once in from an alternate door, not able to get OUT from that door.

I'm so glad there's a chance to get this thing open from the inside. I'll be getting replacement door knobs and dead bolts tomorrow. Thank you for the instructions. :)

Reply to
Cheryl

I had the same thing happen to the door between the house and the attached garage. At first I thought the wife had played a joke and locked me out but she could not get the door to open from her side.

I put on my garden shoes (it was raining) and grabbed my tools out of the garage and walked around. I took the handle apart and was able to manually unlatch it from with in the door handle hole.

It did not take me long to figure out it was the latch mechanism that had worn out. Fortunately I had a spare from my property managing days. I installed the new part and the door has worked flawlessly ever since.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Two words: Kwikset Smartkey

Reply to
Steve B

In all my years I've never seen this! Anyway, I finally got the old doorknob off. It was a struggle from both inside and outside. And yes, there are a lot of plastic parts in there. But the culprit was the thing that goes into the door jam had broken off the rest of the mechanism and I had a hard time getting it out of there. I just whacked and twisted all the pieces trying to break them into smaller pieces that would pull through the knob opening.

Reply to
Cheryl

Congratulatinos.

Reply to
mm

Now unless you spent at least $45 each on the replacement locks, it will only be a matter of time before the ones you just installed fail in exactly the same way...

Those Kwikset latches don't like to actually be used every day...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Yeah, you probably aren't in and out of your doorway 30+ times a day...

The parts inside the metal latch piece literally are made of plastic...

How lucky that you don't heavily use your doors...

~~ Evan

P.S. You could get a real lock set for your door that would actually last 30 years under the usage the OP put her lock through but it would cost more for each lock than the entire contractor pack of Kwikset locks you have on your house originally cost...

Reply to
Evan