DO NOT CALL list

Page 1 of 3
I am on the DO NOT CALL list. I still get calls, and that really pisses me off. This week alone, I got 2 calls from my ex-wife, one call from my mother, another call from my bank, a call from the local auto parts shop telling me my part is in, a call from my insurance company, and 3 calls from my brother. I thought the DO NOT CALL list, means *** DO NOT CALL ***
On 05/03/08 01:08 am snipped-for-privacy@tazer.com wrote:

The Do Not Call list does not apply to:
Private individuals, e.g., your ex, your brother;
Political and charitable organizations;
Businesses with which you have an established relationship, e.g., your bank and insurance company.
Sounds you might just as well cancel your phone service. Is there anyone you *do* want to allow to call you?
Perce
On Sat, 03 May 2008 07:48:40 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I look at the caller ID and let the answering machine get if, if I see one of:
1. known annoying caller 2. no caller ID 3. CID blocked 4. unfamiliar business name 5. toll-free number (unless recognized caller) 6. strange, inhuman CID (such as: TSTA)
Businesses that hide behind these holes very seldom leave a message on an answering machine. That makes it look like their products or services are so bad that no one able to think about it would want them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Much of the mail includes a return envelope so I send back a lot of what comes in. I'm sure to remove my name on the credit card apps though.

I do this too.

Maybe if we ALL did this they would stop putting these things in magazines as well? I sent potato peelings one time as I was peeling potatoes at the time and it struck me as funny to send them some of my junk as they send me there junk.

Put a lot in there. Enough so that it goes over the one ounce limit, and then they have to pay to get the letter. I'm starting to do that, and put RETURN TO SENDER on the outside when I don't have the time to properly mess with them.
Steve
On 05/03/08 12:42 pm SteveB wrote:

A friend put fishing sinkers in the Reader's Digest envelopes before returning them.
Perce

The ones with postpaid business reply envelopes:
Load them up. I mean REALLY load them up. Stuff other junk mail in them. I've torn up cereal boxes, dumped ash trays, scraps of wood & metal, twisties, whatever is around. Nothing illegal, dangerous or unhealty, etc. that could come back at you. Make it VERY fat and heavy till you need wide package tape just to keep it from bursting open. They have to pay the postage for overthick & overweight.
Make sure their junk mail is in there in tact with your address.
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:42:06 -0800, "SteveB"

So how did you make out with RETURN TO SENDER? I tried that recently because I am FLOODED with charitable solicitations, sometimes 5-6x/annum from the same outfit. What happens, I found out to my sorrow, is that each charity/organization I donate to -- I send small checks/membership renewals to many -- sells or exchanges its list with 'n' others, no matter in some cases if you tell them not to. The result is an unending torrent of letters, some -- amusingly enough -- from organizations I OPPOSE!
Yes, I tried recently to put REFUSED RETURN TO SENDER, but the carrier dropped them back through the slot. I called the Post Office. The lady said that if I refuse mail, they will stop delivering!! Whatthell is THAT about?
For the nonce, the junque is going back into the recycling, but that does not address the issues: Killing trees [environmental degradation; paper-making is one of the most chemically polluting technologies] to create junque that is sent by air [carbon] and sorted at several stages involving transportation [carbon] and delivered by carriers whose load might well be lighter if...
If someone more ambitious than moi could clarify the postal regs involving RETURN TO SENDER - perhaps REFUSED was the deal breaker? - we could all profit.
On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:27:46 -0700, aspasia wrote:

[snip]
Most of my donations to such organizations are with cash, sent anonymously for that reason.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
aspasia wrote:

Or they get a donation from you and somehow decide they will get another one if they send you a solicitation each week. The way I stopped that is by using $0.35 money orders. They get the money but nothing to enter into their database(s) for future use.

On Sat, 03 May 2008 17:30:52 -0500, AZ Nomad

I prefer to donate anonymously. Most of my estate is willed to a (National) charity, but they won't know it until I'm gone and I like it that way.

I'm a worthy charity, send me cash. No ID required ;)

That's happened with me too. For one thing, I never contribute to PBS. Someone gave a relative of mine a "gift membership". It took a long time before they stopped mailing and calling.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
aspasia wrote:

Capitalist pig - why do we all have to profit?
A while back I needed to stop a lot of junk mail to a business. I was told "REFUSED" is the magic word. I printed stickers and added a more descriptive 2nd line. 1st class is returned. Some of the cheap bulk mail isn't (I don't know which) - so trying to return it just creates problems for the PO.
--
bud--

You should register with the direct mail association:
nancy

This works at the post office, too. I kept getting pre-approved credit card apps from JP Morgan-Chase Bank, platinum business cards. I sent two back saying no and take me off the list, but they persisted. So, I started sending them in to see if they'd really send me more cards. (I already have one.) They kept sending them and sending them. I have 10 Chase Business cards, now, all with different numbers on them with really high credit limits....all with 3% cashback and no fees. Every month, I rotate using them to keep them active as you must use them at least once every 12 months to keep them active. I can now afford open heart surgery at the best hospital in the country with the highest priced vampires.
So far, noone as questioned why I have so many Chase cards.....stupid? Them or me? The cost me nothing as I always pay off the bill...no interest, no charges.
One hand has no idea what another hand is doing in big corporations.....

It's my understanding -- open to correction -- that applying for many credit cards is detrimental to one's credit rating. The thinking of the Big Three rating organizations is that somebody who needs that many credit cards might be a little shaky in the finance department, so they need to keep bouncing from card to card.
I would genuinely like KNOWLEDGEABLE input on whether this philosophy of the rating orgs. is valid. (Personally, I stick to about 2 or 3 -- why more?)
BTW: Doesn't the above message echo some of the attitude that caused the sub-prime housing bust, which is now affecting economies around the world? IOW, extend credit promiscuously?