DIY PE gas pipe

I need to run a buried gas line about 60 feet from the meter to a patio in my back yard. The idea of PE is attractive: the only joints being at the risers on either end. Has anybody here done such a DIY project? I'm familiar with the code requirements - the PE has to be 18" deep, with a tracer wire. Any feedback?
TIY, Kent

I don't think you can buy it without taking a test from the supplier. Also the supplier will not give you the test if you are not a licensed contractor. Then the tools involved! You need a fixture to hold the pipe while it is heated, (heated with another dedicated tool), and pressed together. Then the supplier will only sell you a full roll of the pipe. The cost for one job prohibit it. Call around, someone in your area does it. Call HVAC companies they will do it or know someone that does it. My bet is if you dig the trench, and then back fill it when done you will find some company to just lay the pipe. It will take them less than an hour, if the trench is dug previously. The pipe is fairly inexpensive, but the risers are not. Seems to me the risers will run around $200 a piece. It will be much cheaper to bury coated black pipe, which if your city allows it can be a DIY job. Greg
Hi, I work for the local gas company. We install plastic gas pipe everyday. If you have a local supplier you maybe able to find the stuff you need. For the smaller pipe sizes (1/2 and 1 inch) you can connect it with "stab" type mechanical fittings. No need to fuse the pipe. You will also need "sweeps" these allow you to come up out of the ground with coated metal pipe that is threaded at the end so you can pipe into steel and you can stab the plastic into it underground. Locally I've seen allot of flexible metal gas pipe being used. We don't use it because it is for customer piping. I believe you can bury this pipe and the local supplier only requires a short, 30 minute, training course. It is connected with compression type fittings that are easy to install. So don't give up on the DIY! Jeff

I was told that our local supplier, FW Webb, will give anyone the training. Since they are a wholesaler I would assume that they wouldn't sell to you unless you could show some kind of proof that your are in the "business". However, a couple of years ago we ran over 20,000 feet of gas main into an existing mobile home park (can't call them trailers anymore) and the guy running the park had his workers run Trac Pipe for all of the customer fuel lines. I would doubt any of that crew had a license to do anything, including to drive! Was I right about burying it? Jeff

Jeff,
Yes, Trac Pipe is available for UG installations. It's called Trac Pipe PS, for "pre-sleeved." Comes in 100 foot lengths, and has venting capacity so you can use it under a slab, etc. This stuff is new, I guess. The HVAC supplier I got my Trac cert at doesn't carry it yet, and there was no mention of it in the training, that was 3-4 years ago. I also don't know if it's approved locally yet, L.A. isn't always the fastest to okay new stuff.
By the way, Trac Pipe uses a self-flaring connection, not compression. Comprfession fittings are pretty much universally banned for fuel gas of any kind.
I wanted to explore the PE option cost-wise. I already knew about the sweep risers, and that I wouldn't have to do fuse joints. If it costs signifcantly more than coated steel, then I'll go with the steel, and save 6 inches of digging. I don't have access to a ditch witch, and my back yard is REALLY tough to dig in.
Thanks, Kent

Not new..been out at least 3 years...thats at least. Most suppliers do not carry it since it is a bit bulky, compared to the 250 foot rolls of the standard line and its really only moving 2X a year. now..LA? Los Angeles? Got news for you...OmegaFlex was approved years ago there, and its approved in all 50 states...if the local inspectors are not approving it, all it takes is a call to the local OmegaFlex rep and its taken care of...

Yes, I know. But my original questioin was about PE, not CSST. I need to run AT LEAST 3/4" line about 60' from the meter, underground, to my brewhouse, which I built onto the back of my garage. I have a limited budget for this project (converting my brewing rig from LP to NG), and I may very well end up running Scotchkote.