Disposing of powder actuated fastening tool charges

Page 1 of 2
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

1) Call the contractor and tell him to come get the stuff.
2) Call the fire department, a route often taken by people who need to dispose of ammunition, but don't know another shooter who can use it.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:30:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Thank you, I'll call my local fire department and see if they do this.
Calling the contractor won't work, because I don't even have his phone number. I rent, and he did the work for the property management company. I have spoken to my contact there, but she told me to just throw the things away.

And what exactly are you afraid of if you just throw them in the trash?

Good idea. Most of the other suggestions on this subject came from pathetic morons who'd be doing the world a favor if they poured gasoline over their heads and lit a match.

Halloween is next week. Would them make a good treat for the kids?
Jonathan Sachs wrote:

Put them in the trash.
Or sit on the back stoop and whack 'em with a hammer.
throw them in the trash.

soak them in oil , the oil will render the powder inside them inert , then throw them away .

not sure what to do with them.
The Freon Cowboy wrote:

recover. I would probably put them in a sealed jar with cooking oil or some other waste oil and put in trash.
not true , oil soaked powder actaully decomposes

will not ignite but if dried out will lrecover. I would probably put them in a sealed jar with cooking oil or some other waste oil and put in trash.
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 06:50:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@-insightbb.com (The Freon Cowboy) wrote:

That could be useful information in the future, but in this case, I'm not confident that immersing the charges in oil would help. The open ends of the casings are crimped and sealed with some rubbery compound. They may well be water (and oil) proof. If I were manufacturing the things, I would certainly make them so if I could.

That's my thought also. Imersing might work after several months but water would seep in faster than oil, still very slowly though...
Harry K
Offer them on Freecycle, they do have some value.
Call the guy back, and ask him to come get them. Offer them to another contractor.
I havn't really studied these things, but there is a chance that soaking them in water for a week will wet the powder charge; then they can put in the garbage, safely. Just a wild guess, though.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Jonathan Sachs" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

If you live anywhere near Indianapolis, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Real email address is in the sig line below.
--
Regards,
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:22:47 -0500, Jonathan Sachs wrote:

Buy a Remington Power Hammer and enjoy the free charges.
Cook them off, in a campfire.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

Don't you know that that is dangerous? ;) I laugh when I see people get all panicky about loose ammo in a fire. Truth is that neither the case nor the bullet will go anywhere significant or penetrate anythign if they did. Of course that applies to the usual house type ammo, military is a different thing as it tends to run to the big stuff.
In the case of those power charges, they are fairly low powered to begin with.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

tray full of primers. They are packaged in segmented trays because of this. I suspect the nail drives only contain primer compound but probably at a higher level than in normal primers. Myth Busters had a show on what happens when guns or ammunition are stored in ovens. Neat stuff.
Frank wrote:

The ones I have seen are rimfire and have powder and sealing compound in the crimp area. I have disposed of old ones for an old tool that used a weird caliber by tossing a few at a time into a burn barrel.