Powder actuated tools and humidity

  Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun , uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now 3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Sounds like altho I've never seen the issue -- but in SW KS finding any humidity at any time is a task! :)

I've got Remington cartridges that are 20+ yr old with no problems; I just shot a few a few weeks ago hanging some conduit that seemed same as usual.

Reply to
dpb

That is ammo and it needs to be stored in a cool dry place. If nothing else, keep them in an ammo can.

Reply to
gfretwell

I own the type where you use a 3-4lb. sledge on the Hilti. My ammo is 20-25 years old and always works. I'm in humid NW, Oregon

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Ain't you never heard anybody say 'keep you powder dry'?

iirc the Hilti cartridges just have a open crimp like a blank so there's not any sealing, even an over powder wad.

Reply to
rbowman

  These are Ram-set loads , and there is some kind of red sealant on the crimped end . Apparently not too effective ... some of them seem like there's no powder at all , some like half-strength . I've run across exactly one that felt like a full charge when I fired it . I never even considered the possibility that humidity could do this - I got this thing used at a bargain price because it had been wet and was gunked up with powder residue crud and rust . The loads with it were all dead ... Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working fine . I used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even with a 10ga piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush or below . I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in a Ziploc or something .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Can't beat a Hilti.

Reply to