Dishwasher Airgap: Is it required?

I'm installing a dishwasher and was told I need an airgap between the diswasher output and the garbage disposal connection. I've seen these at the local home centers yet I never see these in any of the kitchens shown in remodeling magazines or on any of the remodeling shows on TV. The counter tops usually show the facet, maybe a soap dispenser, etc, but I have never seen an airgap on the fancy kitchen remodels.
Is there another type of airgap that is hidden under the counter top? or is there a special one way valve that can be subsituted for the above counter airgap?
Thanks
Kenny wrote:

All you need to do is raise the drain hose from the dishwasher over the drain in the sink and then back down to the garbage disposer. That way you insure the dishwasher drain hose doesnt become a siphon and crap from the sink back washes down the dishwasher drain hose. You can use a metal strap with holes to wrap around the dishwasher exhaust hose and mount it to the back, inside the cabinet. Most new dishwasher make this exhaust hose wrap up the side or back and to the top of the dishwasher solving this problem. But its a good idea to do it under the sink to.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

My dishwasher service manual shows how to do it with an air gap and without. The without method being described above. If you need me to scan the picture and email to you them post here. I did it without an air gap and it works just fine.
It depends on the local code. Follow the manufacturers instructions and use the airgap if you local code requires it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math