Dishwasher vacuum breaker required?

I am replacing my dishwasher. It drains into the plumbing under the sink. The old dishwasher did not have a vacuum breaker at the sink.

What does the Uniform Plumbing Code say about installing the air gap at the sink? Do I need one?

I tried to check with the building department but gave up after one hour of run-arounds. These bureaucrats are pretty worthless.

Reply to
Walter R.

AFAIK, whether you need one or not is a local issue. Most places don't require it, in which case a high loop that takes the hose up to the underside of the countertop may be used.

Reply to
trader4

Local codes is the issue. If you don't have problems now, don't worry abut it on the new one. I've never had one in 35+ years of using dishwashers and never had a problem. YMMV

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski