Dishwasher NOT ADJACENT sink

I need to install a dishwasher at my nephew's new (old) house. It needs to be placed NOT ADJACENT to sink. (Two cabinet bays away).

I'm thinking that I should erect a standpipe drain behind the dishwasher, with a trap below floor level in the basement. Then have the discharge hose go into the top of the open pipe the way a clothes washer's does. Standpipe needs to fit behind washer, in front of wall.

Question: What is minimum size for standpipe to be used in this situation?

Or should I be approaching this in some other way?

Thank you.

Reply to
JacksonD

Yes, ... seriously reconsider relocating the cabinets...

--

Reply to
dpb

you can route the pipes behind or through the back of the intervening cabinets. it will be a major hassle to load the washer though.

Reply to
charlie

I see no problem with that, set it up like a washing machine discharge probably 1 1/2" pipe. Make sure the discharge hose is fixed so it can't fall out. I can appreciate that some kitchens just won't allow ideal placement.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Why will it be a "major hassle"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

When you say 2 bays away, what are the widths of the cabinets? Just out of curiousity, why can't you put it next to the sink? It will be awkward washing a dish , then placing it a few feet away in the dishwasher.

Reply to
Mikepier

Just go through the basement and back up to the sink location with 3/4 inch cpvc, then clamp the hose on the dishwasher to that.

Steve Barker DLT

To left of sink is 30" cabinet. Then counter turns 90 degrees. If I put washer to left of sink I lose 30" of storage PLUS access to corner storage. PLUS, then need to do extensive cabinet reworking. To left of corner is range. Then 24" base cabinet. Then refrigerator. I could move range to left and put DW where range was. That way, DW door opens almost to sink. BUT, then the stove would be right next to the frig, and my intuition tells me that's not good. I don't know why but I feel it. Maybe someone could address this point.

To right of sink there are two 21" cabinets. If I put DW there, need to rework cabinets, then left with only 18" base cabinet.

Basement access in unhindered. Putting it where I proposed seems like the best all around solution.

I welcome further input from you all.

Thank you.

Reply to
JacksonD

gee I have exactly the same problem, KISS keep it simple stupid is my approach:)

put loop in drain line to top level of dishwasher so water cant siphon out, and run hose to basement washtub for drain.

no trap needed, no air vent needed, rubber hose snakes around many obstructions very easily.

discharge line is ty wrapped to washing machine drain hose, it dumps near top of washtub so it always drains well/.

this has worked for 12 years just fine. one day we will get a new kitchen, this year we got new furnace with air.

the only hassle is adapting the dishwasher drain hose to a regulat hose. my adapter is a rube goldberg device, wrapped with electric tape.

just search for the proper fittings.......

theres not enough width under our sink to fit a dishwasher in

Reply to
hallerb

Why would you 'wash' a dish THEN put it in a dishwasher? I carry mine by the trash can, dump the heavy stuff off and put them in the dishwasher. That's what it is for. When coming from the table, i actually get to the dishwasher before getting to the sink. It would be extra movements to go to the sink then back to the DW.

When you say 2 bays away, what are the widths of the cabinets? Just out of curiousity, why can't you put it next to the sink? It will be awkward washing a dish , then placing it a few feet away in the dishwasher.

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Mine is the same way, I ran soft copper in the toe kick area under the cabinets which was easily accessible by popping off the baseboard to kick to see under the cabinets, should be 4 inches of height under there to route back to the sink.

Reply to
RickH

Its really not a major or any at all, actually it gives me 30 inches of room to stand between sink and DW keeping the DW door out of my way. Unloading is even easier as the cabinet between DW and sink gets most of the clean stuff. Its a corner sink with DW to right of a 30 inch drawerbase that adjoins the sink.

Reply to
RickH

on 7/21/2008 1:45 PM Steve Barker DLT said the following:

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I rinse my dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. For me, I feel it is less work for the dishwasher and more economical, since I don't have to use the higher 'scrub' settings to clean egg, cheese, or other hard to remove, or baked on residue off the dishes. I've never had a failure with any of my dishwashers in 45+ years, other than the rubber coating rusting off the trays, which replacement costs are almost as much as a new washer. If I ever do need a new pump or have some other mechanical failure, I'll ask the repairman if it was caused by my rinsing the dishes before I put them in the washer.

Reply to
willshak

Disgusting. You do realize that there is no garbage grinding/disposal system on your dishwasher no matter what the manual says, right? All that gunk is going down your drains. Gross.

where does your disposal system flush it's remnants?

Reply to
charlie

I don't know where yours goes but mine goes right into the garbage disposal.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't have a garbage diposal. If I did, its remnants would be ground up. The dishwasher has no such device, and the outflow is below where a disposal would be anyway. The raw gunk is going down your drains.

you need to think about this some more. whether it's ground up or not, it all is the same stuff, and goes the same place.

Reply to
charlie

Wow. You just can't "move" cabinets. I do carpentry work and this would be time-consuming job for the typical homeowner. I'd place the drain in back of the cabinets with a minimum 1/4" drop per foot. The

1.5" PVC should be enough.
Reply to
Phisherman

Well, so do I and _I've_ moved cabinets...it takes effort, yes, but probably will be a more workable end result as far as the overall kitchen layout. I'm of the "do it once, right" as opposed to "whatever gets by" camp...

--

Reply to
dpb