Diesel generator, 2 questions

I am the kind of person who considers every issue from all possible angles. Hence my yes, but answers. I have a digital camera and will try to make high quality picture of the exhaust tomorrow in the afternoon. Thank you for your offers, maybe I will take you up on it (beer is on me)

A small propane torch directly in the air intake will cause a small diesel engine to start EVERY Time, as long as the fuel is still liquid, and going thru the injector pump and injector. Ask any trucker who runs the rocky mountains in winter.
Bruce in alaska who knows this works, from long experience
--
add a <2> before @

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

I never heard of that before. It makes sense though, and all that is needed is a little extra heat in the cylinder.
--
"You take the BLUE PILL, you wake up in your own bed,
and you BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO.

Do you mean burning propane or not burning?

Burning.... You want HOT Air going down the intake. I guess you could ask a local politition to bogart the intake as well.
Bruce in alaska who would like a picture of the alternative option
--
add a <2> before @

RE/

An idle question from somebody who will probably never own, much operate a diesel in the winter: would using gasoline as the fuel get around the fuel-gelling problem? Clearly the stuff wouldn't jell...but would a small diesel run on it? Maybe store it with an empty tank, pour a half cup of gasoline in to start, then pour in diesel once it's warmed up?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/mixing_gasoline_and_diesel.htm
--
"You take the BLUE PILL, you wake up in your own bed,
and you BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO.
RE/

Sounds like the lack of lubrication plus running too hot would do the thing in...
--
PeteCresswell

NEVER put gasoline in a diesel engine. Period.
Me
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

It sure would. Of course gasoline makes very poor diesel fuel. It can damage the engine if it will run at all.

No. diesel engines are designed for diesel fuel and gasoline can damage the fuel system. It is also a fire hazard since the diesel fuel system is not designed to safely handle gasoline, even a small amount mixed with gas.
I know Buba has been adding gasoline to his diesel tractor fuel for years to keep it from gelling. It is not a good thing to do.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
This is Turtle.
i have never use the torch but when you run out of fuel. you can use WD-40 to run it till it can pick up the fuel you put in it. On Mack 18 wheelers you can start a 350 H.P. Mack engine with WD-40 and run it till the injectors will fill up and start pumping fuel. Now you can start them on cold mornings with a can of WD-40 keep at room temperature and then spray the warm WD-40 in it and it will burn good to start it. Now using starting fluid and WD-40 to start them cause a good amount of ware for it will wash all the oil off the rings when your starting it with the stuff. It's not recommended to do this very much because of the ware of the rings and cylinder wall.
TURTLE