Diesel generator, 2 questions

Page 3 of 5
A diesel , no electric start, no glow plugs, and you say it is easy to crank. Id suggest you do a compression test before you spend alot of time. Also run it with a full load, That is a high compression motor and if your De Walt turns it it may be worn out.
Ignoramus13667 wrote:

while its spinning , give it a squirt of areosol stuff , works here in the cold , but then I dont have snow to contend with , so my cold may be radicaly different to your cold . If you got extreme cold , you may want to look at an addative to keep the diesel thin in winter .

You can extend the exhaust and add a car muffler or two , that'll shut the exhaust noise up good , being diesel , itll still be a bit mechanicaly noisy , diesels just are . Be aware of where the exhaust goes , diesel exhaust seems to sit there , and just get thicker till it gets unbreathable . You can always consider bio-diesel , or straigh vege oil for a more lung friendly exhaust , hell , even mixing cooking oil withyour diesel will reduce the particluate and improve the smell of the exhaust , making it less noticable what youre up to anyway .
Take a look at www.greasel.com for how simple it realy is .

I built mine from a double layer of wooden fence sealed to the ground at the bottom. In an effort to make the thing hurricane resistant, I built in enough mass to give pretty good soundproofing. I have a very tight fitting door, an inlet air grate, and a peaked roof with open gables to let out the heat and exhaust fumes. The generator (Onan) has an internal blower that sucks air from the inlet grate. The generator sits on a concrete pad. The noise attenuation turns out to be very good with just a low rumble escaping into my neighbor's yard. The worst noise escapes through the air inlet which happens to be pointed at my own house. I may soon retire the Onan for a Honda, and may have to put an electric automotive radiator fan at the air inlet grate to substitute for the blower that is built in to the Onan.
My starting battery (actually a bank of 4 deep discharge batteries) is also the battery for my modest 100W. PV system. Kills two birds with one stone.
Vaughn
Vaughn

What kind of fence was that?

Thanks!
Vaughn wrote:

at
I used common (at least in Florida) pressure-treated wood, 6' high, picket fencing. After installation; I nailed a second layer of pickets on the fence, offset so that they covered all of the original cracks between the first layer of pickets. (They sell loose picket boards) I did not actually allow the fencing to touch the dirt (that will reduce the fence's lifetime) , but placed cheap landscape timbers at the bottom to beef up the structure and seal the noise in. Because it want the thing to withstand a hurricane (as it did only two weeks ago) I used 4X6 PT lumber for fence poles rather than the 4X4 (actually 3X3) things that are more typically used.
Vaughn

heat
It survived its second hurricane in 30 days last night. This is an Onan-powered post.
Vaughn

This is Turtle.
1) if you take care of it. you will never find out how long it will last.
2) The Engine and fuel should be 70F or so and it will crank like a charm. How you make the 70F temp is your baby.
TURTLE

Thank you Turtle.
Ignoramus19691 wrote:

Dig a hole in the ground; maybe a pair of post holes angled at each other. Run the exhaust into the hole. The dirt will aborb the noise. Gopher tunnels work great.

This is Turtle.
If your wanting noise reduction here. There is a simple way of doing that. Get you 2 - 10 feet joints of 3/4" or 1/2" threaded light weight conduit pipe. Adapte the engine vapor discharge to the two pieces of conduit pipe and point them up in the air at 20 feet high. 95% of the noise will be sent up and not come back towards the ground where your at. The only noise you will hear is the vibration of the generator it'self which will not be much at all. Put the generator on some rubber pades and you will have to listen to see if it is running.
Now this type of quiet operation was used by the moble home company on the generators for them and had a holder for the 20 foot pipe to be put together when you wanted to run quiet durning outside events with the moble home. Now I think they had a muffler on the top of it and that would even be quietier.
TURTLE

Turtle, it is a great idea, but my generator's exhaust comes out of a rectangular opening about 1.2x3 inches. Hard to fit a pipe to that.

Yes, what a great idea, in general. Making an adaptor for my exhaust is what's difficult.
On 25 Sep 2004 23:45:52 GMT, Ignoramus32065

Send me a print of your exhaust opening, and Ill machine you an adapter. You pay the shipping. Period.
Be damned sure you get the dimensions right and Ill machine one with a little bit of slop in the bolt pattern so you can fit it with a couple fat washers under the bolts.
Tell me how you want the pipe port to be. 3/4" standard pipe? Straight pipe, 1" ? You name it, you got it. Your choice of steel or aluminum. Depending on the size, I might even have some stainless remnants.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Gunner wrote:

LOL.
Gunner, take a look at my reply to this post. I think you'll LOL also.
I don't have the fancy CNC at work, but I do have band saw, grinder, & buzz box in the garage.
--
"You take the BLUE PILL, you wake up in your own bed,
and you BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO.

Chuckle...cool.
http://home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/myshop
I reckon I can manage to file him out an adapter...got this really neat rusty old maul I might be able to chop one out with...
<G>
Gunner Owner, Coyote Engineering Full service OmniTurn CNC and manual machine tool repair. Serving Central and Southern California, Western Aridzona and the Western States. "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Wow, with the exception of the toe, we're all jealous! Very nice!
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:27:56 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote:

Thanks. Its taken a lot of blood sweat and tears to get those machines. Much of them were cast offs found behind factories or sitting in corners as they were broken or too worn for a production environment. Ive rebuilt/repaired them into pretty decent users. I dont have much money in them, but I sure have a lot of my off hours sitting there in the shop.
Gunner
Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

I am, also, jealous. After running my half marathon in 2:08, on pure low carb diet, I am back and took some pix of the muffler and port and the generator.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/muffler /
I have the dimensions of the exhaust port on a piece of paper, but my scanner does not work. I can fax them to you Gunner, or, if you do not have a fax machine, I can work something out, maybe get the scanner to work.
I also (as you see on pictures) bought a tractor muffler. That's what I will hope to attach to the genny and the exhaust port.
Ignoramus12690 wrote:

Seems simple enough.
http://home.sprintmail.com/~dalereastman/misc/untitled.JPG
Measure retangular opening. 2 times width plus 2 times height = circumference.
circumference / 3.14 = diameter of pipe.
(I would measure of the inside diameters.)
swedge the end of the appropriate diameter tube into a rectangle, grind prep for a nice fit, and weld.
--
"You take the BLUE PILL, you wake up in your own bed,
and you BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:30:09 GMT, Dale Eastman

Ill mill out an adapter plate with a turned and threaded hole in the proper place (with proper bosses).
See my previous post about port thickness and breaking it out by hanging the muffler directly from it.
The threaded hole depends on the size of flex he can scrounge up. Standard steel electrical conduit should work well enough, although actual flex exhaust line is greatly prefered.
Diesel engines tend to have very heavy vibration and a static connection between muffler and exhaust will very shortly bust something.
Gunner
Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Gunner wrote:

Good point. Even the big road diesels have short lengths of flex pipe in the exhaust. I never gave it much more thought than the flex in the motor mounts under torque.