Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Page 1 of 5
My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the morning. The rear and side windows are fine.
When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the windshield.
Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield? Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?
on 10/6/2007 1:45 PM Slacker said the following:

I always listen to 15 year olds. After all, they know "Everything". :-)

Rain-X does not damage glass. I have been using it for many years on many vehicles, on all windows and mirrors. Have you tried cleaning the glass with a good glass cleaner? How good are your wipers? What's in your washer fluid cannister?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 10/6/2007 2:52 PM hls said the following:

I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol (not really burnt, as that would evaporate the alcohol, but if it could be burnt)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Well, easy enough to find out...
Ingredient #     01 Ingredient Name     *WATER (50-90%) CAS Number     7732185 Proprietary     NO Percent     90 Ingredient #     02 Ingredient Name     METHANOL (20-35%) CAS Number     67561 Proprietary     N0 Percent     35 Ingredient #     03 Ingredient Name     BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM, N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (<1%)
on 10/6/2007 3:34 PM dpb said the following:

Cool, I'll mix my own!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Let us know when you get your water and methanol mixed up to 125%...
on 10/6/2007 4:53 PM Pete C. said the following:

I'll use a bigger container. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Mark D wrote:

The water and alcohol are the solvent / carrier for the:
BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM, N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (<1%)
on 10/6/2007 5:37 PM Mark D said the following:

Once on a whim, I drove 45 miles on my commute home in a rainstorm and never used my wipers. The Rain-X is not so good at misty rain, or when going slow, but at 55 mph or better, the rain shoots up the windshield and is gone faster than the wipers could swipe it..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:34:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

There are lots of rain-x products out there so I assume you're talking about the de-icer when you mention this chemical as that chemical doesn't appear to be in the rain-x anti-fog or rain-slick treatment.
The rain-x de-icer & pesticide msds sheet is here http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/msds/docs/wcd00008/wcd00802.htm
The Benzenemethanaminium in the rain-x de-icer & pesticide is http://sci-toys.com/scichem/jqp028/55211.html
Synonyms for the Benzenemethanaminium (C12H26O3S) rain-x pesticide are * N-(C12-C16-alkyl)-N,N-dimethyl-, 1-dodecanesulfonate * Dodecanesulfonic acid * Dodecane-1-sulphonic acid * Dodecylsulfonic acid * Dodecanesulfonate * Dodecylsulfonate * (Z)-N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride * Ammonyx KP * Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-(9Z)-9-octadecenyl-, chloride * Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride * Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride, (Z)- * Benzyldimethyloleylammonium chloride * Benzyloleyldimethylammonium chloride * Cycloton 7LUF * N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride * N-Oleyl-N,N-dimethylbenzylammonium chloride * Olealkonium chloride * Oleyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride * Rhodaquat 7LUF * Tret-O-Lite XC 503
So, any one of these may be listed on the package.
Being a sulfonic acid, I would hazard a guess rain-x de-icer works by polar attraction (but I might easily be wrong). I do not know how the rain-x pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:01:28 -0700, Jeff Dittmar

The pesticide kills the rain.
Don't use the pesticide in an open convertible.
(It's fun to drive in the rain in an open convertible. The harder it rains the faster you have to go, but even a heavy rain won't get in at 55 or 60.)
You might even want to wipe your windshield down with a solvent like paint thinner (don't get it on anything else!) to remove any sort of films ordinary cleaning won't and then wash it thoroughly with detergent to make sure that in turn is removed.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

Could be rubber from worn wiper blades...
Did you make sure to rub it off after applying it? Many people think all the have to do is just apply it to the windshield. If you put it on and don't rub it off after it has set there for a minute or so, your windows are a big mess.
If you follow the directions, Rain-X is fantastic. I don't even need to use my wipers most of the time.
John Weiss wrote:

If we wern't to use wipers why do we have them quess like signals to look good Ha Ha
If we wern't to use wipers why do we have them quess like signals to look good Ha Ha
That was coherent!?
my neighbor had that on a car he purchased, and didnt like it for whatever reason. he used clean rags and gasoline to clean and replaced his wiper blades.
use glass cleaner, then gasoline, then glass cleaner. install new blades.
my father in law uses rain X and swears by it.....
sure environmentally incorrect but I remember when gasoline was a universal solvent for near everything......

As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...