Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Rain-X now sells Windshield wiper fluid additive (mix with water), window cleaner additive (mix with to water), Winter de-icing washer fluid (full strength), and windshield wipers. I use 3 of the 4 fluids, besides the spray.

Reply to
willshak

on 10/7/2007 9:18 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:

Some probably don't get the acid rain that is popular in the NE

Reply to
willshak

quoted text -

-- used to be a product called "glass wax"

Glass Wax was a glass cleaner that did not do the same thing that Rain- X does. Glass Wax was a thick pink liquid that dried white just like car wax. Once dried, you "polished" the glass with a rag to remove. It provided no "rain slides off without wipers" feature. It did do a good job of cleaning glass as well as a number of other surfaces.

It was also good for decorating your windows for the holidays. See a can here:

DerbyDad03

quoted text -

I know that it wasn't the same sort of product as Rain-X, but I wish I could find some because it did do a heck of a job cleaning up windshields. A friend used to have a can but it is long gone, and I haven't seen any new on the market.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote: ...

Don't know how similar it is to the old stuff, but Rain-X makes a product labeled as a glass wax. While looking for the MSDS to see what is in the aerosol, discovered there are some 20-30 products under the Rain-X brand...

I've never used any of them so have no opinion on their efficacy nor knowledge of what the product actually is, just noted your plaintive cry and had recently seen the listing... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Finally, the voice of wisdom! Rain-X even sells all-weather cargo bags & windshield wipers!

So, let's stop calling it "rain-x" and start calling it 'rain-x '. Otherwise, we're all talking about something different. Let's start by listing the rain-x products of interest first. Then we can get to their ingredients and then to how they work.

Here are the rain-x brand products I found in a quick search

  • Rain-X Roof Top Cargo Bag .99
  • Rain-X Weatherbeater Wiper Blades .99
  • RainX Fast Wax .99
  • RainX Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel .99
  • Rain-X Wash & Wax with Carnuba Beads, 20 Ounce Bottle .24
  • Rain-X Anti-Fog Class Cleaner Wipes (25 Ct) .99
  • Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (3.5 oz) .99
  • Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (7 oz) .99
  • Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment Towelettes .99.
  • Rain-X Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel (16 oz Bottle) .99
  • Rain-X Bug & Tar Pro-Shield (16 oz Aerosol Can) .99
  • Rain-X De-Icer Aerosol (15 oz) .99
  • Rain-X Fast Wax (16 & 23 oz Trigger Spray) .99
  • Rain-X Foaming Car Wash Concentrate (100 oz Bottle) .99

Now, someone tell me, WHICH rain-x product above are we talking about that streaks your windshield inside and outside and that which can't easily be removed but which apparently works if properly applied?

Reply to
Jeff Dittmar

Reply to
Jeff Dittmar

I used a glass cleaning product from the FLAPS that has some clay dispersed in a solvent system. The clay is not abrasive to glass, but provides a large surface area which helps compete for the surface active materials in RainX and the like.

No magic bullet...just elbow grease.

For all those who like RainX, good on ya'. I dont. I applied it properly, and just dont like the effect.

Reply to
hls

on 10/7/2007 12:21 PM hls said the following:

Like jewelers rouge?

Reply to
willshak

Not sure why you keep repeating this. You don't know if it is Rain-X and you are treating the clerk at the big box stores opinion as gospel.

Reply to
George

In my experience, what you describe as a "haze" is simply the remaining water on the windshield broken into much smaller droplets than normally are deposited by the rain. It happens with a cold windshield, and is more like the misting from morning dew, but much finer. A single wipe from the wipers will remove it. Once the windshield is warmed by the defroster, it goes away.

Reply to
John Weiss

Reply to
John Weiss

No, not jewelers rouge, but that would also provide a large surface area.

Kaolin, typically, may be used.

The material I bought was packaged in sealed foil envelopes, but I dont remember the brand name.

You may also remember the old BonAmi product which was of a very low order of abrasiveness. It was ground feldspar, IIRC.

Reply to
hls

on 10/7/2007 3:18 PM hls said the following:

It's still around.

willshak

He just want's to bash Rain-X apparently, and keeps repeating it because he knows most people know he's full of it, especially given his initial admission that he has no idea what is actually on his windshield if indeed he is actually old enough to have something with a real windshield at all. Were he mature and responsible he would not persist in blaming a product he has no knowledge of and no proof is at all involved in his problem.

Reply to
Pete C.

If you bought the car used it might have been repainted or in a bodyshop where it got overspray on the glass. I have used lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool to remove paint as it does a good job polishing the glass. I have used Rain-X for years and never seen a problem with it! Of course if you live in the rust belt God only knows what is on the glass.

Stormin harmony forever spebsqsa

Reply to
Stormin

The inside windshield product would be the Rain-X Anti-Fog treatment (3.5 oz or 7 oz) which is in a bottle and needs to poured onto a towel or cloth to apply to the inside of the windshield.

The outside windshield product would be the Rain-X Glass Treatment.

In my experience, both gave unsatisfactory results.

The Anti-Fog "worked", in a sense that the inside of the windshield did not fog up, but left a film that would give a very bad haze in full sunlight.

The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most a light drizzle. For heavier rain, use of the wipers is still necessary and the wiper blades soon begin streaking the windshield rather than effectively removing all of the water.

I'm also finding the same issue with the Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive--wipers are beginning to streak and not fully wipe away all the water or washer fluid.

Now I just use the defogger function when the inside windshield begins to fog up, and I just use high quality wipers when it is necessary for me to use the windshield wipers.

For sure, these ideal laboratory-perfect clean windshield surface cleanliness conditions are not specifically mentioned anywhere on the bottles of those other two Rain-X products, and the Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive does not even list a clean windshield as a requirement before use.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Stormin,

harmony forever - which part? chorus? quartet?

Dan Bass OkChorale Mature Moments

Reply to
DanG

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote ................. > The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most a

Rain-X Glass Treatment doesn't bead--it sheets. And, it sheets in the heaviest downpours. You obviously didn't follow the instructions ;-)

Reply to
Gini

I wouldn't use rainx on the mirrors, because they don't fog up and they don't get wet normally, but maybe someone does.

I used rainx once and I like it. In a mild rain you don't have to turn on the wipers, because the rain is flat and you can look right through it.

But it needed reapplication in less than 3 or 6 months and that was too much effort for me since the car came with windshield wipers.

If the wipers were broken, it would be a tremendous asset until you got them fixed.

I'd be surprised if somone put rainx on and it lasted longer than 6 months, but maybe they put on more than one coat.

When mine wore off, I noticed no patches, but maybe I konw how to; put it on evenly.

I don't know what adsorb means, but I'm pretty sure you can remove the stuff, or the patches will get bigger until it's all patch, like impetigo.

Reply to
mm